TC 11.03 : .WCX Plugin configuration panel lacks delete

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Raart

TC 11.03 : .WCX Plugin configuration panel lacks delete

Post by *Raart »

In [Configuration] [Plugins] [Packer plugins (.WCX)] [Configure], the Associate panel is inconsistent compared with the other similar panels for the other plugin types.
In addition there is no way to delete an already installed plugin, and the (None) entry is already there even if plugins are present.

Andreas
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC 11.03 : .WCX Plugin configuration panel lacks delete

Post by *Gral »

This dialog window is historically first and based on "Associate with" dialog window.
It must works in some different way than other, as it work with individual extensions.
What is really lacks is control buttons e.g."Maximize", while it CAN be maximized and restored!
(None) is here just for delete installed plugin - choose extension from dropdown list, select (None) and press OK - the plugin will be deleted.
Raart

Post by *Raart »

It isn't very intuitive. I must admit it seemed a uncomplete work to me and couldn't go further. Some short instructions on that dialog window, would do the magic as far as it can't be done better.
I thing the entire archiver's section would require a refresh.
Thanks for the answer.
I'm rather new on the forum (and I have a lot to read). I decided to pay for TC as I'm using it since some time and find it pretty good. Therefore I think some kind of opening the source code would help solving some dark aspects of this application. Therefore I understand that... business is business.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

2Raart
If you install the Plugin Manager, all of these settings are much easier.
https://totalcmd.net/plugring/tc_plugman.html
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There is no "Delete" button because to disable an association you need to enter the file extension and then choose "none" from the list.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Raart wrote: 2024-03-16, 16:28 UTC It isn't very intuitive.
I agree. It's not just newbies who stumble on this problem.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-03-19, 08:05 UTC There is no "Delete" button because to disable an association you need to enter the file extension and then choose "none" from the list.
I don't see any reason for the lack of a button. After specifying an existing extension, it would be possible to display a cross, similar to the one in the cm_Confirmation, and completely abandon "none" as an obsolete option.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-03-19, 08:05 UTC There is no "Delete" button because to disable an association you need to enter the file extension and then choose "none" from the list.
Why not go from the opposite and do it the way it is more convenient for the user?
That is, physically the button will still be on the form - and when it is pressed, the Total code
automatically performs the actions that you now suggest the user to do.
And all of them are completely non-intuitive, btw.
#146217 personal license
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

If you wish to delete a plugin associated with many extensions though, the best option is to directly edit the INIs. It would be convenient to have a "Delete" button.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

The Progman tool option "Tweak parameters of Packer plugin" should be the way,
configuring all functions of a packer plugin in one clear screen.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Raart

Post by *Raart »

I'm calling to uniformity of the GUI with the other forms dealing with Plugins, being simple and clean. Powerusers may mangle with .ini files but do this is the aim of TC? As a Unix dino I'm used to put my fingers onto ".ini" files, but seriously, GUIs are a nice thing to do things quickly and effortless, being a dummy or a poweruser.
The way the WCX Plugin panel has been actually done recalls me some completely opaque Unix CLI scripts made of non alphabetic character sequences like this:

:(){ :|:& };:

being a CLI script (BASH) known as "Fork bomb", that immediately crashes the system... ;-)