Multi-Rename Tool: run commands concurrently ?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

RBraverman

Multi-Rename Tool: run commands concurrently ?

Post by *RBraverman »

Is there a way to run commands concurrently?
To be clear, I (now) run a find/replace with one string, then reload the files and run the second, repeat, I'd like to run the 4 or 5 one after the other ... Possible?
beb

Re: Multi-Rename Tool Q&A

Post by *beb »

2RBraverman
You can also use the 'edit names...' Multi-Rename Tool option and do those multiple find/replace iterations in your favorite [text] editor within a single load.
That option seemed not very popular here, but I utilize it all the time.
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Multi-Rename Tool: run commands concurrently ?

Post by *Stefan2 »

RBraverman wrote: 2024-04-04, 17:38 UTC Is there a way to run commands concurrently?
To be clear, I (now) run a find/replace with one string, then reload the files and run the second, repeat, I'd like to run the 4 or 5 one after the other ... Possible?

Do you run always the same commands?

You can save that and reuse them with F2-key inside MRT,

And even make buttons to execute one saved after the other. (Perhaps make yourself a second button bar)

You also can write a few own commands in usercmd.ini and execute them one-by-one or all together.

Or use a dedicated ReNamer by den4b

joe910

Post by *joe910 »

Maybe this would help. It is not exactly what you describe because it does not reload the files; however; it can do multiple find/replace tasks on a set of files. I use it quite often.

Help Dialog box - Multi-rename tool:

Search & Replace:
The string entered in the field 'Search for' is replaced by the string in 'Replace with'. The text in 'search for' is NOT case sensitive! Both fields support the placeholders (wildcards) * and ?. A * stands for any number of characters, a ? for exactly one character.
This function is applied AFTER the rename mask!
You can search+replace multiple strings in one step! The strings need to be separated by the vertical line (Alt+124).
Example: Replace Umlauts+Accents:
Search for: ä|ö|ü|é|è|ê|à Replace with: ae|oe|ue|e|e|e|a
RBraverman

Post by *RBraverman »

>joe10

Can you explain what to do with a <Clear> command that is not acted upon, the text stays.
**************UPdate***********************
Found if one just doesn't use a replace command ie., || with nothing between if deletes/clears the entry.
RBraverman

Post by *RBraverman »

Thank you Gents,

Saving the actions, well, interestingly I've apparently done that before, as there were several saved actions, but I must have forgotten.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
The ReName program works quite well, but even it's portable, I'd kinda rather use something IN TC. I've used this since and before Norton gave up their NC.

One last problem - BOY this makes it easier for me - is working on files that start with 01/numbers, this will only run through 09, if more files exist (happens occasionally not proceed any further.
Can't find it the answer, but then I could very easily read over it.