New SFTP plugin available now

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New SFTP plugin available now

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The bug was only fixed in the beta version so far. I will publish a new final version soon.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
paladin42

Post by *paladin42 »

I don't know much about 'sftp' but I now need it to access my ftp site. I'm running version 11.01 (9/1/23) of commander. When will the plugin be available? Where do I get it? How do I install it? Will I need to update commander or will it go into this version?

thanks,
bruce
(registered user #31788)
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

paladin42 wrote: 2024-04-16, 14:44 UTC access my ftp site.
This is the thread about the SFTP-Plugin (with access via SSH). If you want to access your ftp server, you do this via FTPS protocol. Please note: SFTP not equal FTPS (it's totaly different).

First Step to answer your question: SFTP or FTPS? (Maybe you ask your provider about it)
paladin42

Post by *paladin42 »

This is not a subject I'm knowledgeable on. From my provider:
To increase security of the webserver, I am changing my FTP to use SFTP instead of FTPS (FTP over TLS). Please update your FTP client to connect using SFTP. Everything else remains the same.
CoolWater
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *CoolWater »

Then just download the following file:
https://www.totalcommander.ch/win/fs/sftpplug.zip

Open it with TC (double-click) and it will be installed directly. After that, open network neighborhood, there you will find SFTP. Create a new connection with F7. In the properties window which follows, enter server, username and password you used for FTP.

HTH
CoolWater
paladin42

Post by *paladin42 »

Did that.... starts to connect then either hangs and locks at either (tried it about half dozen times):

41% with From; Session Startup To: -
60% with From: Getting supported authentication methods To: -

then tried logging in with filezilla it worked (had to use port 22, don't see a port setting on your config screen.)
CoolWater
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *CoolWater »

Well, port 22 is the default SSH/SFTP port. But you could enter a port if a different port is configured for SSH, i.e.:
myserver.com:2222/path

Maybe you should try to use SCP (for all) in the properties window of your connection. Or if that option is already checked, then try without SCP.
paladin42

Post by *paladin42 »

Tried that. When I set use CSP for data transfers - exact same thing.
When I set use SCP for everything - went to 61% and locked showing From - getting supported authentication methods.
Any other thoughts????
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-04-12, 10:32 UTC I will publish a new final version soon.
By the way: File/Product version is missing in the plugin files (sftpplug.wfx and sftpplug.wfx64). Please add it in the new release (like you have already done it in some other of your plugins e.g.: davplug).

Thanks

Joube
paladin42

Post by *paladin42 »

Let me know when it is available, please. hopefully, it will solve my problem :)

As an aside, I LOVE commander. Have been using it as my file management tool for decades. I install it on every computer I work on.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It sounds like your server isn't supporting any authentication methods supported by the plugin and vice versa. Either the server is too old and only supports outdated methods like DSA, or the server is configured to only support very new methods not supported by the plugin.

You can use the free tool nmap to find out the supported ciphers:
nmap -sV -p port_number --script ssh2-enum-algos Servername.com
with port_number the port of your server, usually 22.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
barsmonstesr

Post by *barsmonstesr »

I really miss SFTP4TC due to it's seamless integration with Putty - entering pre-configured servers is extremely convenient. I tried to refresh and rebuild SFTP4TC, but it seems to be very hard due to Putty modification (i.e. 7 years of Putty development had to be re-merged).

I wonder if it is possible to read Putty server definitions from Registry in SFTPPLUG to reach similar result?

Sessions are stored in windows registry at "Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY\Sessions", where one would need to read: server ip, port, login username, privatekey. This should work in many cases without manual creation of server definition. One of the challenges could be converting privatekey format.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

barsmonstesr wrote: 2024-04-27, 23:32 UTC I really miss SFTP4TC due to it's seamless integration with Putty
Aren't winscp and filezilla also based on putty and aren't they both open source, so you could have a look at there implementation? However, Putty is now obsolete and unnecessary because Windows natively supports SSH from version 10 on. (The only advantage with Putty was the passkey handling, which has since been changed.)
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

JOUBE wrote: 2024-04-28, 08:14 UTCHowever, Putty is now obsolete and unnecessary because Windows natively supports SSH from version 10 on. (The only advantage with Putty was the passkey handling, which has since been changed.)
You're very wrong here. PuTTY is so much more than just an SSH client, though admittedly it's probably mostly used for that. But it can also do serial connections, telnet and so on. Furthermore, how do you manage dozens of SSH servers with a CLI SSH built into Windows? Do you open a new CMD/Terminal window and manually type to connect to every one? PuTTY is so much easier as it has a nice GUI for that. And these are just the basic issues with the built-in SSH client.
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Dalai,
PuTTY is so much easier as it has a nice GUI
Never thought I'd hear "PuTTY" and "nice GUI" in the same sentence :D

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.