Changing tabs deselects files and folders in previous tab

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

alphonse68

Changing tabs deselects files and folders in previous tab

Post by *alphonse68 »

Hello everyone.
I apologize if this issue has already been addressed, but the words to search by could not be any more generic than they are.
The issue I have with TC 11.03 x64 running on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 is that if I select one or more files and/or directories and change tabs before I do anything with those files/dirs, upon returning they will all be deselected and the cursor will be up top on the parent dir [..]
Fortunately, I don't do extensive file manipulation, but...

Also, and on a much, much lesser note, it surprised me that upon installing TC 11.03 I was asked to select everything as if I was installing TC for the first time, being that most, if not all prior versions, betas, RCs, and full, have remembered all those choices. I mention it just in case it was not meant to be like that.

Cheers!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Changing tabs deselects files and folders in previous tab

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Did the content of the folder change after changing tabs? Then TC may not restore the selection when returning to the tab.
I was asked to select everything as if I was installing TC for the first time
This will happen when you had the 32-bit version installed and then install the 64-bit version, or vice versa. It's necessary to install the missing shortcuts to open the other version (the executables have different names).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

if I select one or more files and/or directories and change tabs before I do anything with those files/dirs, upon returning they will all be deselected and the cursor will be up top on the parent dir [..]
I cannot reproduce this behavior.

2alphonse68
Could it be that yoou have locked the folder tab with directory changes allowed, and that you changed directory before you selected the files - in that case, when returning to the tab it will go back to it's base directory and therefore you don't see any selections.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2petermad
In this case, the only important thing is that you were able to find the sequence of steps that lead to this bug.
Yes, that seems to be the case. Clearly this state of affairs should not remain as it is. Selecting files should always remain a selection.
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Selecting files should always remain a selection
As I wrote, here by me files do stay selected.

Of course if the folder is changed when returning to the tab because of it being locked (with directory changes allowed), then the files can not be selected anymore since I am now in a different dir, than the one where I selected the files.

2AntonyD
Are you saying that you can reproduce the problem, when not using locked tabs?
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

It's possible that the directory in question gets updated (file added/deleted/changed). In such a case TC removes the selection when switching back to that tab.
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It's possible that the directory in question gets updated (file added/deleted/changed)
I tried adding / changing and deleting to a non-visible tab from another application - the selections i had made were still there when I opened the tab
License #524 (1994)
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2petermad
Are you saying that you can reproduce the problem, when not using locked tabs?
No, I can reproduce it WITH locked tabs easily. But this case should not be treated differently just
because the tab is locked. And if it is not locked, then the behavior should be something else...
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2AntonyD
No, I can reproduce it WITH locked tabs easily
Yes, but can you also reproduce it with locked tabs, where you have NOT changed away from the base folder?
License #524 (1994)
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

can you also reproduce it
No.
#146217 personal license
alphonse68

Post by *alphonse68 »

Let's see... lots to answer...
The contents of the folder did not change. I even selected some files, changed tabs and back, but that half second was enough.
Mind you, that this behavior did not happen before, ever, except when there was an obvious change like saving or closing an open file already in that folder. Not the case now.

The tab is locked with directory changes allowed. I have five of them on either pane. In way past versions of TC, they used to return to the locked (base) folder upon returning to either of those locked tabs, but it has been a while since that stopped... thankfully. They only return to the locked folders automatically if I close TC.

In this case, the only thing that changes is the selection. None of the folders or the files within get automatically updated. If the folder changed, not only would I not see the selections, I wouldn't see any of those files either.

Now, upon reading your comments and suggestions (and I apologize for not having done my complete "due diligence"), I did notice that it only occurs in folders that are not the locked folder.

So, just to be clear, if I have a "Locked, but dir changes allowed" tab, locked on folder C:\abc, I then change folders in that tab to C:\abc\123, or venture out of it to C:\xyz, select some files, then change tabs and immediately come back to that locked tab, folder 123 will be displayed, but the files will be unselected and the cursor will be on the parent directory, not where I left it.

If I select files in locked C:\abc and change tabs, the selection will be there. The same happens if the tab is not locked.

I hope this helps.
Cheers
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2alphonse68
So the problem actually is that TC does not return to base dir when going back to a locked tab (as it should), but it does erase the selection as if it had gone back.

Could you please try if you can reproduce the problem if you test with a clean ini file. Just start TC with the parameter /i=%TEMP%\test.ini. - make some locked tabs with dri change allowed and test.
License #524 (1994)
alphonse68

Post by *alphonse68 »

2petermad

I did as instructed and the locked tabs return to their base dirs.

What is odd about this is that I have been updating TC--betas, RCs, & final versions--since forever and I stopped messing with wincmd.ini back in version 8. So, for a long time it has been that locked tabs did not return to their base dirs, and only with this latest version has it began to deselect like this.

My memory fails me... is there a setting to make locked tabs w/ dir chg not return to base?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

s there a setting to make locked tabs w/ dir chg not return to base?
DirTabRevert=0 or via gui: "Configuration" -> "Folder tabs" -> "Return to locked tab root directory on tab change"

The option "Return to locked tab root directory on tab change" has been available since TC 10.0, and it has never kept selections, when deactivated since then.

I think that when DirTabRevert=0, selections should be kept when returning to the locked tab - so I have filed a bug reports about this: viewtopic.php?t=82015
License #524 (1994)
alphonse68

Post by *alphonse68 »

I was positive I had written a thank you note to all that helped or even just suggested on this issue.
If I remember correctly, there is no "Closed" feature here, so I will say it, just in case... Case closed.