descript.ion not updated

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

HYPO

descript.ion not updated

Post by *HYPO »

Hi

I would like to revive the stone age old descript.ion concept supported by TC. But TC does not update file changes by itself. Makes sense. But then I noticed the included old entry in XYPLORER. Has TC supported this file change management in the past. Is it enabled by some hidden INI setting ?

Regards

handling files commnents in descript.ion subsidiary files

Post by Leopoldus » 16 Oct 2004 20:29
Some filemanagers (e.g. Total Commander and some others) allow to handle extended information (comments) for files in subsidiary files of type descript.ion, creating them in the same folder as is the objected file. But TrackerV does not work with these subsidiary files.

Naturally the result is always and totally lost information if using TrackerV for copyiing/moving/renaming of files. :cry:

If in Total Commander I rename a file C:\Documents\AAA.doc to [/b]C:\Documents\BBB.doc[/b], the proper changes are automatically made in files C:\Documents\descript.ion in this folder, so all the commets to the former file C:\Documents\AAA.doc belong now to the new file [/b]C:\Documents\BBB.doc[/b]; and this works the same way if move the file file C:\Documents\AAA.doc to C:\News\AAA.doc, etc.

But when I rename or move in TrackerV the file file C:\Documents\AAA.doc to C:\News\AAA.doc, the comment to this file still remains in the file C:\Documents\descript.ion, so it is not more associated with the faile and is practically lost.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How to delete duplicate ion files ?

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

HYPO wrote: 2024-04-17, 06:15 UTC Hi

I would like to revive the stone age old descript.ion concept supported by TC. But TC does not update file changes by itself. Makes sense. But then I noticed the included old entry in XYPLORER. Has TC supported this file change management in the past. Is it enabled by some hidden INI setting ?

Regards

<some text from the xyplorer forum>
Are you sure you have the right forum / topic :?: cause it looks like you hijacked a random thread :?:
Please inklude links if you quote some random text (source: https://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?t=137)
What is "TrackerV" :?: (I could find anything about that)
And most important: what is your point :?:
HYPO wrote: 2024-04-17, 06:15 UTC But when I rename or move in TrackerV the file file C:\Documents\AAA.doc to C:\News\AAA.doc, the comment to this file still remains in the file C:\Documents\descript.ion[/i]
And thats how it should be :!:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
HYPO

Post by *HYPO »

Hi

I referred to a behavior TC might once have had, and maybe still has, if one knows how-to. Explanation follows.

The content of descript.ion is valid as long no one changes the filenames commented on in their current location, or changes the location.

If any such changes happens then descript.ion is no longer valid. And then what. That was the reason for asking my question in this thread. Its about the validity of the descript.ion file.

I google'd around and stumbled over the old entry included above. Someone in an arbitrary forum claimed TC to have a useful behavior, I have never seen myself. That TC can track file name/location changes and update descript.ion automatically to reflect this. So I asked here, is it really possible to have TC behave like that. Simple question.

Even after 30 years use I still learn new trick related to TC. Occasionally.

Regards
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

See Options > Operation > [X] "Copy comments with files" and related settings next to it. If you need explanations for these settings press F1 while in that dialog.
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

HYPO wrote: 2024-04-17, 08:52 UTC Even after 30 years use I still learn new trick related to TC. Occasionally.

Here is what we have collected to this topic so far >>> File comments / descript.ion
https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=355053#p355053

(including now tuska's explanation, thx)

white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: descript.ion not updated

Post by *white »

Moderator message from: white » 2024-04-17, 11:05 UTC

Split above posts
» from How to delete duplicate ion files ?
HYPO

Re: descript.ion not updated

Post by *HYPO »

Thank you so much Dalai and Stefan2 for the explanations and references !

Regards