File list scrolling additional lines when the drive combo box is hidden

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Yincognito

File list scrolling additional lines when the drive combo box is hidden

Post by *Yincognito »

Steps to reproduce (the bug doesn't seem to occur on TC 9.12, but occurs on TC 11.00+, with both run as an administrator after pinning to taskbar)
1) use something like these sample settings, for convenience:

wcx_ftp.ini:

Code: Select all

[General]
ConnectRetries=10
WaitDelay=5
transfermode=I
LogFile=
FtpInBackground=0
ModeZ=1
AutoResume=30
[default]
pasvmode=0
wincmd.ini:

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
InstallDir=C:\Program Files\Total Commander
UseNewDefFont=1
SetEncoding=äö.do.not.remove
firstmnu=2616
FirstTimeIconLib=0
FirstTime=0
SeparateTree=0
PanelsVertical=0
test=91
Aligned extension=1
ShowHiddenSystem=1
UseLongNames=1
Small83Names=0
OldStyleTree=0
autotreechange=0
DirBrackets=1
ShowParentDirInRoot=0
SortDirsByName=1
Tips=3
FileTipWindows=1
Win32TipWindows=0
SortUpper=0
IconOverlays=1
IconsSpecialFolders=3
Showicons=2
ShowEXEandLNKicons=2
IconsInMenus=17
IconsOnNet=1
ShowHiddenSystemOverlay=1
ShowCentury=1
SizeStyle=0
SizeFooter=0
onlyonce=0
TrayIcon=0
UseRightButton=1
Savepath=0
Savepanels=0
MarkDirectories=1
AlwaysToRoot=0
SingleClickStart=0
RenameSelOnlyName=0
SaveCommands=0
SaveHistory=0
EverythingForSize=0
CountSpace=1
CountMarked=1
1hourdif=0
CopyComments=6
CommentPreferredFormat=4
IconClickSelection=1
DirTabOptions=824
DirTabLimit=32
ExplorerForCopy=0
Win95Delete=0
UseTrash=0
LogOptions=7198
LogRotateLimit=0
LogKeepCount=30
CompareCaseSensitive=0
CompareIgnoreRepSpace=1
CompareIgnoreRepeatedLines=1
CompareVertical=0
CompareBytesPerLine=8
LastSearchOptions=32
FirstTimeUnpack=0
FirstTimeZIP=0
[ButtonbarCache]
IconDll_default.bar=TCNewLib1
IconDll_vertical.bar=TCNewLib1
[Buttonbar]
DefaultLib=wcmicon2
[FileSystemPlugins64]
$checksum$=3014672
[ListerPlugins64]
$checksum$=3014672
[ContentPlugins64]
$checksum$=3014672
[left]
path=c:\
ViewMode=10001
activepanelcolor=-1
activepanelcolor2=-1
ShowAllDetails=1
SpecialView=0
show=1
sortorder=1
negative Sortorder=0
[right]
path=f:\
ViewMode=10001
activepanelcolor=-1
activepanelcolor2=-1
ShowAllDetails=1
SpecialView=0
show=1
sortorder=1
negative Sortorder=0
[Layout]
ButtonBar=0
ButtonBarVertical=0
DriveBar1=1
DriveBar2=1
DriveBarFlat=1
InterfaceFlat=1
DriveCombo=1
DirectoryTabs=1
XPthemeBg=1
CurDir=1
TabHeader=1
StatusBar=1
CmdLine=1
KeyButtons=1
HistoryHotlistButtons=1
BreadCrumbBar=1
[Tabstops]
0=465
1=470
3=522
4=359
6=1106
5=103
AdjustWidth=1
[Colors]
InverseCursor=1
ThemedCursor=1
InverseSelection=0
BackColor=0
BackColor2=-1
ForeColor=16776960
MarkColor=-1
CursorColor=-1
CursorText=-1
[Lister]
Wrap=0
Maximized=0
x=230
y=150
dx=1439
dy=759
textwidth=81
binwidth=75
SearchGoBack=3
BmpStartup=1
Multimedia=1
RTF=1
IView=0
IViewPath=i_view32.exe
HTMLasText=1
LinkBraces=1
[Packer]
ZIPlikeDirectory=1
InternalUnarj=1
ARJlongnames=0
InternalUnlzh=1
InternalUnrar=1
InternalUnace=1
LinuxCompatible=1
ARJ=""C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe""
LHA=""C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe""
RAR=""C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe""
UC2=uc.exe
ACE=""C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe""
[1920x1080 (8x16)]
RenameX=230
RenameY=150
RenameDX=1439
RenameDY=759
RenameMax=0
RenameTabs=350,400,800,920,1039
CompareX=230
CompareY=150
CompareDX=1439
CompareDY=759
CompareMax=0
CompareDivider=500
Tabstops=465,470,522,359,1106,103
maximized=1
x=410
y=125
dx=1100
dy=800
Divider=500
DividerQuickView=500
DividerComments=500
2) uncheck Configuration / Options... / Layout / Show Drive Combobox and hit Apply
3) stay or go to a folder with many subfolders and files (e.g. C:\Windows), so that the file list is scrollable
4) scroll down at least two notches or the equivalent of eight+ items, so that the .. parent folder isn't visible at the top of the file list
5) double click to enter a folder towards the bottom of the visible file list (preferably from the last four or five)
6) double click on the .. parent folder to return to the initial folder
7) watch closely how the file list is quickly scrolled down one or two more lines while performing the previous step

Other considerations:
- this happens only when entering the subfolder and returning to the main folder via double clicking, it doesn't happen when using the ENTER key
- the bug might be related to the Configuration / Options... / Operation / Extra Lines Below Cursor option, which didn't exist in TC 9.12, for example
- despite my initial suspicions, this doesn't seem to necessarily be related to the height of the TC main window and its divisibility by 16 pixels
- the whole point of trying TC 11.00+ is to use it with the drive combobox hidden, since it now shows mobile drives as u1 drive buttons and such

Let me know if you can reproduce it, if you need further details, or of ways to mitigate / eliminate this problem (if possible without waiting for a future TC version correcting the issue, that is). Great software, by the way!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: File list scrolling additional lines when the drive combo box is hidden

Post by *petermad »

This seems to be very related to this: viewtopic.php?t=80189
it doesn't happen when using the ENTER key
Here by me it also happens with the Enter key.

Work-around - go back to the parent folder with Alt+ArrowLeft
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Yincognito

Post by *Yincognito »

petermad wrote: 2024-04-28, 18:21 UTC This seems to be very related to this: viewtopic.php?t=80189
it doesn't happen when using the ENTER key
Here by me it also happens with the Enter key.

Work-around - go back to the parent folder with Alt+ArrowLeft
Thank you very much for the quick and informative reply!

Yes, it seems to be very similar to the issue described in the thread you linked to, indeed. Unfortunately, it seems that if 7 (!) months already passed and there has been no solution to that, let alone an acknowledgement from the developer, there isn't ever going to be one, which is a pity. What I meant is that the quick visual jump / scroll by one line doesn't happen for me when using the Enter key, because otherwise the (wrongly scrolled, i.e. off by one or two list items) end result is more or less the same compared to double-clicking.

Thank you for the workaround, I'll keep that in mind if I'll decide that I want to put up with this behavior. Right now I'm reluctant to do so partly because both the said "jump" and the workaround are highly inconvenient and partly because I noticed other unwanted effects of the otherwise theoretically helpful "extra lines" setting (at least in the previous TC versions). I guess my options are to either uncheck the setting and accept the minor drawback of having the selected parent folder always the last in the list when navigating back to it irrespective of its earlier position, or continuing to use the tried and tested 9.12 version which didn't fail me once. After all, I can replicate the dark mode via background coloring in that version, though I can't have my phone as a drive button, only as a drive combo box item.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have tried to reproduce the problem, but I do not see any additional scrolling. Maybe by graphics card is too fast?
Anyway, have you tried the option "Extra lines below cursor"? It ensures that the line with the cursor isn't at the very bottom when you go up one level, so you can see what the next few folders would be.
This seems to be very related to this: viewtopic.php?t=80189
That happens because Total Commander does NOT remember which line was at the top when leaving a directory, just which line was under the cursor. So when you go up, Total Commander just scrolls that directory into view (considering "Extra lines below cursor").
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Yincognito

Post by *Yincognito »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-04-29, 07:57 UTC I have tried to reproduce the problem, but I do not see any additional scrolling. Maybe by graphics card is too fast?
Anyway, have you tried the option "Extra lines below cursor"? It ensures that the line with the cursor isn't at the very bottom when you go up one level, so you can see what the next few folders would be.
Thanks for responding!

I doubt that the speed of my video card is the reason why I'm seeing this - my laptop has the integrated AMD Radeon Vega 6 with 0.5 GB reserved memory, as well as the discrete NVidia Geforce GTX 1650 with 4 GB own memory video cards in use, so while they're not exactly the best on the market, they're not bad either. I tried the "Extra lines below cursor" option, and besides disabling it or setting it to 0, it produces the same 1 line jump / scroll when returning to the parent folder (I recorded the behavior in the GIF below, you can go frame by frame and see it better if you want):

Image: https://i.ibb.co/82zw97n/Desktop-2024-04-29-13-47-40-048-ezgif-com-optimize.gif

In fact, I think the "extra lines..." option might play a part in the issue, since TC 9.12 which didn't have it (or at least, it wasn't available in the TC settings) does not experience the problem at all. That option and unchecking the Configuration / Options... / Layout / Show Drive Combobox option seem to be the "culprit". It's like TC expects the drive combobox to be there in the 1st phase, and then when it isn't it quickly "corrects" the list position by scrolling yet another line.

In short, I don't have a particular problem with the "extra lines..." option in this case, it's the visual glitch caused by scrolling an additional line that bothers me. I don't particularily like the option either, since it gives the impression that the "viewport" of the list is vertically shorter when scrolling, but as someone with a bit of background in programming (wrote a Dos Navigator similar but unfinished file manager back in the DOS days, also in Pascal), I understand its necessity.