TC not displaying files in System32\Drivers on WinXP x64

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

PiKoViT

TC not displaying files in System32\Drivers on WinXP x64

Post by *PiKoViT »

Hi!

I'm using a recently released Windows XP x64 and just wanted to inform you about a small thing that happened to me while trying to copy some files to Windows\System32\Drivers directory.

I was trying to install the filedisk driver and, according to installation notes, you have to copy the filedisk.sys file in the before mentioned directory. When I did that using TC, the file appeared to be there when you were browsing the directory with TC. But when browsing the folder with Windows Explorer, the file wasn't there, plus there was much more files, that TC didn't display. I'm pretty sure the catch is in Windows themselves but I can't be sure about it, I just felt like I should post this here. At least people will know about this if something similiar happens to them.

Take a look at the screenshot.

edit:
Just tried searching for some of the files that load during Windows boot (like crcdisk.sys). TC found none, while Windows search found it.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

But when browsing the folder with Windows Explorer, the file wasn't there
The filedisk.sys appears in your Explorer screenshot, maybe a misunderstanding?

Have you activated "show hidden files" in TC? Maybe those other files have hidden or system attribute, I have no XP 64Bit here to compare.

Icfu
This account is for sale
PiKoViT

Post by *PiKoViT »

Yeah, I enabled everything, as you can see in the screenshot.

The file that appears in the windows explorer had to be copied there with explorer. And the wierdest thing is, that it didn't even ask me if I want to overwrite the file. Just as if it didn't even exist, although I had already copied it there with TC (or so it should be) :?
Sven

Post by *Sven »

A 32bit app can't access the 64bit system directory (Windows\System32). Windows redirects all file system calls to Windows\SysWow64, so TC shows the content of the Windows\SysWow64 folder instead.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
PiKoViT

Post by *PiKoViT »

Whoa, thanks for the info, everything makes sense now :)