Lister license

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

kakaroto

Lister license

Post by *kakaroto »

Hi,
I would like to know what is the license for Lister. I know it's a freeware, but do we have the rights to distribute it freely with another application, or with a commercial application.
Also, almost guessing this question's answer : Is there a way to get the source code ?

Thanks a lot,

KaKaRoTo
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

As you can read here you may distribute it freely - that means also with other application.
But you may not claim to have programmed it (what you surely had not in mind).

With the sourcecode you will have no luck, I guess, because it is not Open Source and as you know it's part of TC. But you'd try to contact the author directly by email.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
kakaroto

Post by *kakaroto »

Hi,
Thank you for your fast reply. I wasn't sure if it could be distributed in a commercial application. Now I am, so thanks again.
About the source code, it is basically because I'd need to add a functionality : opening lister with a command line option specifying a line number that Lister would directly go to (and maybe select the line/grey it) or maybe even specifying the file position in %, directly from the command line instead of entering it manually in Lister after clicking on the "XX%" at the up-right corner of Lister.
I just discovered "Lister plugins", I don't know if that's possible with a plugin (I guess it is, but I don't know if it can add command line arguments)... I'll have to check it.
Thanks again for your help.

KaKaRoTo
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Jumping to lines is not possible with the lister, unfortunately ghisler has shown no interest in that feature.

Have a look at LixtXP, it calculates line numbers and the source is available too:
http://www.listxp.com/

Lister plugins do not change the behaviour of the core lister so it's not possible to extend it like you want. The only way to use the command line is by using the standalone lister but it does not support that switch as you can see:
http://www.ghisler.com/lister/

Icfu
This account is for sale
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, jumping to a specific line number is not possible because lister doesn't even know about line numbers! Otherwise it would be impossible to show extremely large files so quickly. But jumping to a certain percentage value could be done, just contact me by e-mail if you want this added.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Sorry, jumping to a specific line number is not possible because lister doesn't even know about line numbers!
You have chosen to ignore the feature request to add it optionally in our "discussion" about one year ago. ListXP proves that it is not impossible to show extremely large files quickly.

The file is parsed once and the result is saved in a per file database. During the parsing the calculated line numbers can already be accessed and after the parsing the file can be accessed completely with no access delays.

Icfu
This account is for sale