Network drives browsing bug

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MuaDib

Network drives browsing bug

Post by *MuaDib »

Hi,
don't know if this one was already posted, so excuse me if so.

When browsing network drives on my desktop pc from my pocket pc, everytime when there is .exe file, the pocket pc freezes. I think it has to do something with loading icons from the executable file. Default file explorer on pocket pc behaves the same way, but Resco File Explorer works fine (doesn't display those icons), so it should be possible to fix this somehow.

Btw I'm using BlueTooth network (tried widcomm and bluesoleil drivers), so I don't know if this issue appears also on WiFi network, or some other.

Thanks
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I don't have this problem here - anyone else? Maybe it's caused by a virus scanner or firewall on your desktop PC?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MuaDib

Post by *MuaDib »

So it looks I'm the only one :( Really don't know where's the problem then. I made sure that both antivirus and firewall is turned off and still doesn't work. I'm going to reinstall Windows in few weeks, so I'll let you know if anything change.
Valerix

Post by *Valerix »

MuaDib wrote:So it looks I'm the only one :( Really don't know where's the problem then.
No, no !
I have this problem also !!!

HP iPAQ 1940
Bluetooth USB dongle on my desktop
Widcomm Bluetooth drivers
I establish a LAN connection between PocketPC and Desktop PC via bluetooth.

TotalCommander on PocketPC freezes every time (or, perhaps, almost every time) when it encounters an .exe file while building the list of files in the file panel.

Yesterday's example: when I first time tried to open a remote directory, it stopped for half a minute on a w2ksp4.exe file (which is just an w2k SP4 of course). Next time I tried to open this remote directory again during the same session, my PocketPC was completely frozen; no matter other than soft reset could unfreese it.

Very often I see errors trying to browse the remote folders from pocket Total Commander typing its path. Sometimes an "Error 53" pops up.

Indeed it's very hard to browse LAN resources using TotalCommander for PPC :( - I have better chance to get an error or lockup than to have everything working fine.

BTW - all the above takes place when I try to browse my LAN beginning from admin share (//computer/d$ in my case).

Both previous and current versions (2.0) were tested - things are justthe same.
Regards,
Valerix
Valerix

Post by *Valerix »

+

I don't have an internet connection, virus scanners or firewalls or something alike on my desktop PC.

I can provide an exhaustive hardware/software configuration list if needed.
Regards,
Valerix
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Well, I don't know what I should change - Total Commander/CE calls the exact same directory functions as for browsing local paths. :(

What you can do is change the default icon for the .exe extension from %1 to a fixed icon, then TC/CE will not have to get the icon from the remote system. You can do this with the registry editor.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Valerix

Post by *Valerix »

ghisler(Author) wrote:What you can do is change the default icon for the .exe extension from %1 to a fixed icon, then TC/CE will not have to get the icon from the remote system. You can do this with the registry editor.
Ok, I'll try. Thanks.
Regards,
Valerix
MuaDib

Post by *MuaDib »

Hi,
so I've finaly reinstalled windows (now I have WinxXP PRO SP2) but the problem is still there.
I tried changing that default icon for .exe files, but it also didn't help. In fact default icons were still showed. So maybe it would help, but with simple registry hack I didn't succeed to change default system behaviour.
Would it be possible to send me some version of TC with debug logging enabled? I would be glad to test it for you.
And don't be sad. As I wrote before, build in file explorer doesn't work also, so if you are calling system functions......it's undoubtedly WM2003 bug.

Btw, Valerix, how did you manage to connect to desktop default shares? I always end up with login screen, which I'm not able to get through. However with custom shares I have no problem.
Valerix

Post by *Valerix »

MuaDib wrote:Btw, Valerix, how did you manage to connect to desktop default shares? I always end up with login screen, which I'm not able to get through. However with custom shares I have no problem.
I've created a user on my desktop and used it's name and password in the login screen you've mentioned.
Regards,
Valerix
MuaDib

Post by *MuaDib »

And there is the problem, I have user and password, but the login dialog still reappears again and again with no error or warning message at all. And when I press cancel, dialog also reappears few times and then it shows connection error no. 5. However I have the same problem with PC to PC connection, so I guess there must be some settings under WinXP which I'm missing.