MSIE Cache Browser

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

MSIE Cache Browser

Post by *Alextp »

MSIE Cache Browser

This file-system plugin allows to browse Microsoft Internet Explorer cache ("Temporary Internet Files" folder contents). Unlike Windows Explorer, plugin shows cache contents in structured form: domains list, sites list for every domain, URLs list for every site. View/delete operations are supported for cache entries.

Homepage
Last edited by Alextp on 2012-09-21, 07:10 UTC, edited 6 times in total.
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

Hi Alex,

Another great addition to TC :D Thanks ;)

My findings:
1. Installation is smooth
2. when I open MSIE Cache, the first entry is [], doesn't do anything.
3. Below the [] are two <cachedsoap id ....>, when I navigate into that folder I eventually come to a file that cannot be shown. It gives me the error "Error during downloading file".
4. When I have a list of pages from a website, the pages get split at the domain level. For example "http://www.google.nl/" the .nl/ ends up in the extension field. This causes TC not to recognize it as html, so I cannot view it with IEView. Other listers work fine. My request is not to split webpages ;)
5. Some files I can see with both CTRL-Q and F3, and others not. There seems to be no pattern.

That is all for now ;)

Regards,

RolandD

P.s. Any chance on the same thing for Firefox ;)
Registered user #92105
Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

Alextp, thanks for this great plugin! Very useful! :D
Botak wrote:1. Installation is smooth
3. Below the [] are two <cachedsoap id ....>, when I navigate into that folder I eventually come to a file that cannot be shown. It gives me the error "Error during downloading file".
4. When I have a list of pages from a website, the pages get split at the domain level. For example "http://www.google.nl/" the .nl/ ends up in the extension field. This causes TC not to recognize it as html, so I cannot view it with IEView. Other listers work fine. My request is not to split webpages ;)
5. Some files I can see with both CTRL-Q and F3, and others not. There seems to be no pattern.
1. confirmed
2. can't see that, so not confirmed -> I've DirBrackets=0
3. can't see both, so not confirmed
4. confirmed
5. confirmed

Additional: ReRead button (reread cache) doesn't work, although Ctrl+R works fine.
But I've seen here that you're already hunting for information according this.

Alextp, only peanuts to fix, right! :wink:
Everyone believing in telekinesis, raise my hand!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Botak
Any chance on the same thing for Firefox
In my cache folder all files have weird names but this are just plain files of all kind (html, gif, jpg, png, zip). I guess the real names are stored in another file to be able to store files with the same name in one folder. I don't think we need a packer plugin here but a filesystem plugin which shows the real filenames in a hierachical way could be nice. Maybe ther eis already one?
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

Lesmo16 wrote:Alextp, thanks for this great plugin! Very useful! :D
Botak wrote:1. Installation is smooth
1. confirmed
2. can't see that, so not confirmed -> I've DirBrackets=0
3. can't see both, so not confirmed
4. confirmed
5. confirmed

Additional: ReRead button (reread cache) doesn't work, although Ctrl+R works fine.
But I've seen here that you're already hunting for information according this.

Alextp, only peanuts to fix, right! :wink:
2. I do not have DirBrackets defined at all. Adding DirBrackets=0 the first entry of [] is gone.
3. They are still visible even with DirBrackets=0

P.s.: I found out that you can use: "about:cache?device=disk" in the location bar in FireFox and it will give you your cache in lines like:

Code: Select all

Key: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/posting.php?mode=topicreview&t=801
     Data size: 5892 bytes
   Fetch count: 4
 Last modified: 10/06/05 13:04:40
       Expires: 01/01/70 01:00:00
Registered user #92105
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

Botak wrote:2. when I open MSIE Cache, the first entry is [], doesn't do anything.
2. Not confirmed also. I have none of the broken entries...
3. I don't see that. What "Cached soap ids"? Can you send me screenshot by email?
4. This is by design - filenames for entries are named with URLs. I don't want to change this..
5. All files are visible for me (doesn't matter, by F3 or Ctrl-Q). Can you tell what URLs are not visible, and what real filenames for them are in Explorer view of cache? Sometimes - files are deleted from IE cache, but URLs are still in cache, so that are URLs without files.

PS. For Firefox or Opera - I don't have Firefox/Opera cache API.

Lesmo16 wrote:Additional: ReRead button (reread cache) doesn't work, although Ctrl+R works fine.
I wrote in Readme.txt, that you should run "Reread cache", then press Ctrl-R. Without pressing Ctrl-R - I don't know how to do it...
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

Alextp wrote:
Botak wrote:2. when I open MSIE Cache, the first entry is [], doesn't do anything.
2. Not confirmed also. I have none of the broken entries...
3. I don't see that. What "Cached soap ids"? Can you send me screenshot by email?
4. This is by design - filenames for entries are named with URLs. I don't want to change this..
5. All files are visible for me (doesn't matter, by F3 or Ctrl-Q). Can you tell what URLs are not visible, and what real filenames for them are in Explorer view of cache? Sometimes - files are deleted from IE cache, but URLs are still in cache, so that are URLs without files.
2&3: I have sent you a screenshot
4. I do not mean to change the filenames or anything but my idea was not to split them so the plugins could recognize them. I see there is no file extension to quite a few, so IEView will not pick up. You can forget about this one :)
5. I think I have found something.
In IE:

http://ad.nl.doubleclick.net/712695/Flash-Sony-Ercisson-234x60.swf?clickTag=http://ad.nl.doubleclick.net/
click%3Bh=v5|3309|3|0|%2a|p%3B20372035%3B1-0%3B0%3B11817120%3B4-234|60%3B12070385|
12088281|1%3B%3B%7Esscs%3D%3fhttp%3A//www.vodafone.nl/Prive/Abonnement_en_prepaid/Prepaid/
In TC:

http://ad.nl.doubleclick.net/712695/Flash-Sony-Ercisson-234x60.swf?clickTag=http://ad.nl.doubleclick.net/
click%3Bh=v5|3308|3|0|%2a|p%3B20372035%3B1-0%3B0%3B11817120%3B4-234|60%3B12070385|
12088281|1%3B%3B%7Esscs%3D%3fhttp%3A//www.vodafone.nl/Prive/Abonnement_e
Some others I found the same. They are cut off, thus generating the error.

Alextp wrote: PS. For Firefox or Opera - I don't have Firefox/Opera cache API.
I found that there is an option in FireFox to display them.

Is it just me or do more people see their MSN emoticons in the IE Cache also? Interesting :)
Registered user #92105
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

Botak wrote:2&3: I have sent you a screenshot
I see... Can you now go to MSIE options-> Temporary Internet Files -> View files (to list all cache items). Pls look how these strange entries (URLs) look there. What URLs should be for that "cachesoupid"?
4. I do not mean to change the filenames or anything but my idea was not to split them so the plugins could recognize them. I see there is no file extension to quite a few, so IEView will not pick up.
I cannot not to split them, it's TC doing this.
Some others I found the same. They are cut off, thus generating the error.
I'll check this.
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

Hi Alex,

I did not pay attention the first time I looked at this list, but there is a column called Type. The "cachedsoap" and some other files are part of the AVG Virusscanner. That solves it.
Registered user #92105
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

2Botak
> 5. I think I have found something. In IE: Code

I pass to TC filename=URL, FindData.cFileName has length 260, so URLs longer that 260 chars are truncated!
I don't know, what to do with it. :-(
Its still present in v1.1.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Alextp
I don't know, what to do with it. Sad
There is nothing you can do (maybe pray for a plugin API enhancement :D )
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

2Alex
Glad to hear you found out why it truncates. Too bad we have to start praying ;)

Feature Request:
Would be nice if we could group the cookies together :)
Registered user #92105
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

Lefteous wrote:There is nothing you can do (maybe pray for a plugin API enhancement :D )
I wish that it can be like in FAR Manager: in FAR I always get FindData item in my functions, not only FindData.cFileName.
And from FindData I can receive pointer to my URL - using dwReserved0 param, for example.

Botak wrote:Feature Request:
Would be nice if we could group the cookies together
Version 1.1 will show Cookies, as ordinary cache items. (Not as a group.)
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

Version 1.1.0 (link in first post), changes:
11.10.05: added IECache.lng language file;
added IECache.ini file with options:
Language: set language,
ShowCookies: set visibility of Cookies,
OfflineOpen: set offline mode on URL opening,
OfflineStart: set offline mode on plugin start,
ConfirmOpen: set confirmation on URL opening,
SkipDomains: set skipping of 2nd-level domains;
fixed files search;
fixed panel rereading;
added "MSIE version" string to plugin properties messagebox
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

2Alextp
Thanks for the update. The search works indeed but found another issue there: Go to file or double click on file does not take me to the file. Clicking on a folder, it does work.

Is there a configuration dialog for the options or will there be one?

I translated it to Dutch and find the OK and Cancel button on the question if you want to open the URL are not translateable yet.

There are the items 10 - 21 in the language file. In which screen do they appear or is this for further development?

A nice thing I noticed is, when I press CTRL-B while being somewhat to the end of the panel, the position is moved upwards by 2/3 of the screen :) This only works if you are not completely at the bottom or top of the list.

When I press ALT-Enter on a regular file I get the Windows properties screen. Pressing ALT-Enter on a file in MSIE, I get another Version Information screen. Is this part of MSIE? These strings I do not see in the language part.

That is all for now ;)
Registered user #92105