Request: Unified command system

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Calvin

Post by *Calvin »

OK, call this an ordinary topic-kick, but i just wanted you to know that i also fully support this idea!
Nice work Lefteous
Calvin

-----------------
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
ADv

Post by *ADv »

if only I could see this Unified command system in 7.0... :roll:
radeknews

Post by *radeknews »

Hello,
I also think the command handling system in TC is asking for a major revision...
But why design a new structure language, if XML is there?
Why not just copy what's best in Krusader? 8)

Regards
Radek
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2radeknews
I also think the command handling system in TC is asking for a major revision...
But why design a new structure language, if XML is there?
Why not just copy what's best in Krusader?
The most important point: Of course XML could be used but I don't think the file format is really that important.

Beside that: The structures used in this suggestions could be done in XML as well. On the other hand the used structures are based on simply INI files and the menu file format. Both formats are already used in the program. It would be more work to use XML instead.
XML parsing requires either system libraries or integrated functions. I'm not really sure if the exist on all Windows systems.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed XML is not user-friendly at all. No "normal" user can add some options to an XML file manually, contrary to e.g. .ini files where you can simply add a line. Some xml files don't even have line breaks - they are not needed by the standard, but would make reading and editing manually so much easier...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
radeknews

Post by *radeknews »

Gents,
thank you for the reply, I feel honored.
XML parsing requires either system libraries or integrated functions. I'm not really sure if the exist on all Windows systems
We are using Microsoft.XMLDOM - if it can't be used within TC and if there is really no replacement - that would be of course a valid argument.

For simple tasks - INI files are still the best.
For what is being proposed - the INI will also do,
but is this format flexible enough to accomodate new features in the future?

Besides, XML is not far from the formatting used in this forum, so I don't see why people couldn't use it with TC...

Any way, I guess, the choice has been made, so I'm looking forward to the TC v.7.0! :D

Best regards
Radek
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Heh, quite frankly XML and HTML are the worst designs to ever come down the pipeline. While I can't speak for everyone, I'd imagine most actual coders would agree with me.
It's hard to look at, let alone edit manually. Unfortunately we're stuck w/ it. But really they could of opted for ANY other decent script lang as the base.