Copy selected files from flat view (CTRL+B) with maintaining

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mi-chi

Copy selected files from flat view (CTRL+B) with maintaining

Post by *mi-chi »

To quickly select and copy new files, the flat view (CTRL+B) can be used perfectly to determine which files have been added lately and where they are, by first pressing CTRL+B and sorting by date, so you have the newest files at the top.

Now I can mark the files I want to have copied (kind of "manual synchronization" by file dates) to the destination folder.

But... the copy-process does not allow me to keep the folder structure, the resulting files are all in the one destination folder :(

Yes, I know there is the directory synchronization tool, but there are two caveats:
1. You cannot just quickly select some new files from the source, and copy them to destination no matter whether they exist or not.
2. The destination folder must be accessible at synchronization time.

Here's my problem:

I want to transport my development folder from one computer to another using a USB stick, but only the relevant files (i.e. recently changed and newly added sources files, libraries and compiled DLLs).
In this main folder are hundreds of folders for each project with even more temporary (and HUGE!) compiler files (obj, pch, ...). Now when I'm at the root of the development folder, I press CTRL+B, sort by date and show only *.cpp, *.h, *.lib, *.dll files (CTRL+F12). Now I quickly mark all files that are newer than a certain date and copy them (F5), but I have no option to maintain the original folder structure in the flat view.

So I get exactly the files copied that I want, but I will have to move them manually to the destination folders on the other computer, or even worse, if I have files with the same names but different content in the folders, they will overwrite themselves already during the copy process to the USB stick.

Another solution for this task would be to have a date/time filter in the general copy dialog (e.g. with inside "Options" button), in addition to the already existing file-mask.

Any idea if there's a way to do it with the current TC?

Or any chance to have one of these features added in the future, i.e. "keep file structure" in flat view, or date/time filter in copy dialog?
gbo

Post by *gbo »

TreeCopyPlus plugin could help in your case.
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Another solution for this task would be to have a date/time filter in the general copy dialog (e.g. with inside "Options" button), in addition to the already existing file-mask.
In the copy dialog you have a dropdown list (Only files of this type), there you can select your saved searches. So if you previously saved a search narrowed to the date, you can use it there.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

@ sans

I didn't know I can use regular expressions while copying. They were at the end of the list.... Great !
We are not doing this just for the money.
We are doing it for sh*t load of money.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2majkinetor
You are most welcome.
majkinetor I can see you are really mastering the TC, I hope you will be a great help for us here in the forum!
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

@ Sans
majkinetor I can see you are really mastering the TC, I hope you will be a great help for us here in the forum!
Why I feel digital clouds of sarcasm hangin over those words....

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2majkinetor
This only time you are wrong ;-)
Joke aside, i am serious, we are thankful for all help from experts.
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

I think that I don't beleive you.
I will leave this question open .... :-)

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
mi-chi

Post by *mi-chi »

@gbo:
This is exactly what I was looking for :P

@SanskritFritz:
Cool feature, I didn't know that. It's not really usable in my special case, as the date range is variable (date/time changes so often :wink:), but it's perfect for other recurring copy tasks!!!
Although I'm working daily with TC since several years now, I'm still wondering to find such powerful hidden features!

Thank you so much for your fast and helpful replies!
djorge

Post by *djorge »

You can also Ctr-B, select files or select Filter and pack to a zip archive with no compression. It will store the file structure. The file will be copied do USB much faster that each small file (*.h, *.cpp,etc). And the unpack to your computer to the same file structure that already exists.

This is 3-step solution but it works. I do this alot when i want to copy all my sources from work (several thousands).

But with some files only, give a try to TreeCopyPlus.
I will try it....

Regards,
Personal License #117854