tc doesn't work with dell x51v?

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

timmarhy

tc doesn't work with dell x51v?

Post by *timmarhy »

i download the self installer but when it runs it comes up "this is not a valid pocket pc application" i have wm5, it's supposed to work no?

i get the file from http://www.ghisler.com/pocketpc.htm and i get the xscale version.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Installation instruction
  • Make sure your Axim (true for other PDAs as well) is connected to your Desktop PC.
  • On your Desktop PC make sure ActiveSync is running.
  • On your Desktop PC launch the TC installation package tcmdpocketarm.exe.
  • This will extract the PPC installation cabfiles inside tcmdpocketarm.exe to the directory that you specify.
  • ActiveSync will come up and ask you where it should install Total Commander for Pocket PC on your Axim.
  • You may select to use MainRAM or Internal Storage.
  • ActiveSync will make sure TC is installed from your Desktop PC to your PocketPC.
  • Note: You cannot launch the installer directly on your Axim. No go.
  • (instruction slightly adapted from this thread here.)
Karl
--
P.S.:
You might have taken the CAB file, copied it to your Axim and launched the installation by clicking on the CAB file.
Or you might have used CABINSTL by SK. CABINSTL allows you to install a programme anywhere on your Axim, whereas the WM2005 installer does not allow you to select the target folder.
Last edited by karlchen on 2005-12-17, 12:30 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
timmarhy

Post by *timmarhy »

forgive my ignorance, but why is active sync required to install something on my ppc? seems very arse about face.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Ask Microsoft, please, why ActiveSync is their preferred way. :roll:

Anyway, basically there are two ways to get TC onto your Axim (true for other PDAs as well):
  • Take the selfextractor tcmdpocketarm.exe and use the ActiveSync way described in my previous post.
  • Get the CAB file, transfer it to your PDA - using ActiveSync again - and do the installation on your PDA.
Karl
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2timmarhy
ActiveSync is NOT required if you use the CAB installer - it runs directly on your device, e.g. when you downloaded it directly to your PPC. But most users will download the program to their PC and install from there, that's why I also offer an EXE installer.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

I said that installing the CAB file directly on the PDA was possible, didn't I?
P.S.:
You might have taken the CAB file, copied it to your Axim and launched the installation by clicking on the CAB file.
Or you might have used CABINSTL by SK. CABINSTL allows you to install a programme anywhere on your Axim, whereas the WM2005 installer does not allow you to select the target folder.
Yet, I (incorrectly?) assumed that most users (just like me) still needed to transfer the CAB-file from their Desktop PC to their PDA using ActiveSync prior to installing it, because their PDA had not got an internet connection.
(Confusion completed? :? )

The advantage of doing the installation on the PDA from my point of view is the existence of CABINSTL, because it allows me to install TC to my "Internal Storage" or any other place (except ROM of course) instead of MainRAM, thus keeping MainRAM usage as small as possible.

Karl
The Prophet's Song