[BUG] Search result cannot be sorted by name...

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

icfu
Power Member
Power Member

[BUG] Search result cannot be sorted by name...

Post by *icfu »

...because sorting by name in fact means sorting by full path in TC.

So, searching this directory structure

c:\bla\gamma.txt
c:\blubb\beta.txt
c:\temp\alpha.txt
c:\xfiles\delta.txt

with file mask *.*, feeding to list and clicking on the Name column in a custom column config will give this order, directories excluded:
gamma.txt
beta.txt
alpha.txt
delta.txt

In branch view sorting by name works and the path is ignored.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
mh the full path is displayed and the full path is sorted. :?:

The problem here is that the normal search result is displayed in a "pseudo long view". Judging from the the column header and view state indicators it's a long view but the it displays the full path only... quite confusing. With the introduction of custom columns a consistent solution should be possible.

As a workaround switching to a custom column view solves the problem.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

mh the full path is displayed and the full path is sorted.
Nope, I was talking about a custom column view. The full path is NOT displayed.
With the introduction of custom columns a consistent solution should be possible.
The problem right now is that the default Name+Ext columns are hardcoded and not exchangeable so you are forced to add redundant columns. We had already discussed that in the past. I really hope TC 7 will offer a solution.
As a workaround switching to a custom column view solves the problem.
Yep, you can workaround the problem by choosing TC-column "Full Name" (Voller Name) but I would prefer that TC sorts by what the users see, not by what TC sees internally.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
I guess it has been to late for me yesterday. :oops:
The built-in name column actually sorts by path in a custom column view although it should sort by name.

( Beside that I completely misunderstood your bug report what I wrote above about the search results panel should also be considered for TC 7. )
The problem right now is that the default Name+Ext columns are hardcoded and not exchangeable so you are forced to add redundant columns. We had already discussed that in the past. I really hope TC 7 will offer a solution.
Yes this is another problem to be solved.
Yep, you can workaround the problem by choosing TC-column "Full Name" (Voller Name) but I would prefer that TC sorts by what the users see, not by what TC sees internally.
This is also the best way to reproduce the bug.