Will a usb connected camera look like a drive?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Paul Lepkowski

Will a usb connected camera look like a drive?

Post by *Paul Lepkowski »

Will a USB connected Fuji S3000 look like a flash drive?

Can I transfer pictures from it using the commander without using the Fuji software?
Paul in New York
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

As it is a USB Connected Cam I would gues so but WHY
do u ask a Cam specific question in a TC specific Forum ???

Edit: http://www.dooyoo.de/digitalkamera/fuji-s3000/1018814/
says it is connected like every else digicam and can be used as external drive...

PS: Why do u think google was invented ? :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Paul Lepkowski

I asked because I don't know if the camera will present its files to windows as a directory readable by the commander.

I have tried Google of course! All of the software in the first 100 or so links there seems to be aimed at other brands of camera. Cannon seems the most popular.

I installed the original software on a computer about 5 years ago. The installation disk is no longer readable. I have tried moving the software to a new computer and it won't work unless it is installed by their installer.

So now I have to download the picture files to the old computer and then move them via peer to peer connection to the new computer. I was wondering if the Commander would read them.

The website you suggested is, unfortunately, in German which I do not understand.
Paul in New York
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

What Operating System are you using?

With XP there should popup a dialog when you connect the camera to your USB-Port either that a new dirver is needed for the new device connected or that a new drive is found.

If you use Win98 there is no inbuilt USB support, so you would need a special driver.

But usually cameras are connectecas drives to the PC and thus could be accessed via TC.

sheepdog

[Edit]

If XP asks for a new driver I would recommend to use the standard driver. Another case: Some cameras request a certain driveletter from Windows. Thus, when this letter is already used, the connect will fail. Then just try to change the driveletters of your local drives (I had this problem with a camera that required the letter 'L:\').

[/edit]
Last edited by Sheepdog on 2006-06-09, 15:39 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Paul Lepkowski

Thanks sheepdog, I'll give it a try.
Paul in New York