Compare many files in archives

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

aguirRe

Compare many files in archives

Post by *aguirRe »

Is there any convenient way in the current TC version to compare by content many files where one or both panels are in a non-zip archive? The only way I know today is to either go through the files manually one by one and use Compare by Content or extract the files first to some temp location and then use Synch Dirs. Both methods are pretty cumbersome.

If there isn't, will the new TC7 be able to do it?

Why can't Synch Dirs handle non-zip archives, at least for comparison (by content)? If the problem is with the actual synchronization, then maybe just disable that button and let the user take advantage of the comparison function.
szlori

Post by *szlori »

Well, I'm not exactly sure what's the reason, I thought I read on the forum before, but can't find it now...
I tested again some RAR archives and I could use synch dirs with some limitation.
Yes, it's exactly the compare by content, where 2 files of same name and size were found, TC displayed '?' instead of the result of content comparison.
Maybe it has to do with fact that external unrar is used?
I'm sure there's some technical reason, although manually doing the compare by content on the 2 files in question will work...

If there's solution from technical point of view, I completely support this.
I most often use RAR or 7z archives.
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

If content plugins were supported inside archives, we could have seen CRC sums there, so no compare by content would be needed for most of archives...
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's currently not supported because many of the newer formats like RAR use solid archives. Compare by content would be extremely slow, because the files are not in order, so each file extraction would mean the extraction of the entire archive...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
aguirRe

Post by *aguirRe »

I rarely use solid archives (in 7zip it's often not necessary) so that wouldn't be an issue at all. In any case, it can't be slower than having to manually compare hundreds of files or extracting to temp dirs first before comparing. I hope you'll consider this function for future versions.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
Solid archives cannot be an argument here. Unpacking all files from a solid archive at once isn't slower than unpacking all files from a non-solid archive. It just needs an intelligent unpack handling. TC has to unpack the files to be compared first and then start the comparison (not unpack one, compare, unpack next, compare next and so on).
KevinMo

Post by *KevinMo »

How about making this function only available on non-solid rar archives? Still it would be a great help.