Quick delete

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

miskox

Quick delete

Post by *miskox »

Is it possible (or maybe feature request) to tell TC not to display each file it deletes. For example: if I have a directory with lots of files/directories (few thousand, 1000+, 20000+...) it takes a lot of time to delete these files because each file must be displayed (even if I use SHIFT+DELETE it takes some time). Is there a way to tell TC not to display each file only display "Deleting files... Please wait" or something?

In such cases I use:
run DOS command in this directory
del/f/s/q . >nul
exit

and delete remaining directories (which DOS del command does not delete) with TC.

Thanks,
MiskoX
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

To delete many thousands of files, you may prefer the Explorer method:

Please add the following string to the file wincmd.ini, section [Configuration]:
Win95Delete=1

However, this method will NOT handle file comments!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Hi Christian.

This is yet another example of why the .ini settings are not always the most convenient solution to make something work in a specific way.

If you remember, some time ago i had asked you in this forum why when you move files from one dir to another under Win2K, the security settings are not copied. You replied that Win2K and XP work differently when moving files and that there is a setting in the .ini file (XPMoveMethod i believe) that does what i wanted. The problem (as with the Win95Delete setting) is not only that these settings are not known to many people but if you wish to enable them temporarily, you have to edit the .ini, run TCmd, do what you wish and then re-edit the .ini to restore the setting. This doesn't seem very convenient.

There could be some ways to make things a little easier:
1. An "Options" or "Settings" button in the copy/move/rename/delete dialogs which would give the ability to temporarily change at least the major options for each action.
2. If (1) is too much work, there are nice applications like TweakTC out there which give you the ability to change many "hidden" ini settings. The only problem with those is that when you change a setting, you have to restart TCmd to activate the change. Would it be possible for the application to somehow "tell" TCmd to reload the .ini file and re-read the settings?

I believe it would be great if we had the 1st way.

Any comments?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

You could also have a separate ini and make a button in the Button Bar which would start TC with that ini and the current directories.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.