Useful 3rd party tools to complement TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

chrizoo

Post by *chrizoo »

Hi guys. What backup tools do you use ?
Does anybody of you know one that smartly handles moved files ?

Example: Let's say I have a 50GB mp3 collection in D:\mp3\ and I rename that folder to D:\Music\ All the programs I've seen treat that as deletion and parallel creation of completely different files and thus save a 50GB incremental or differential backup (.... which is entirely useless given that a full backup of the entire 50GB already exists). :cry:

Generally speaking I'd like a program that is space-efficient, meaning it doesn't create exact duplicate files in the backup. The solution is quite easy: files are backed up alongside with their (md5 or whatever) checksum and when making an incremental backup, the program should look for already existing files in the backup archive with same timestamp and filesize and (only) if such file is found a checksum (and - subsequently - for paranoids also a an optional byte-by-byte) comparison would be made. If identical files are found, file attributes (like path, name, timestamp, etc.) are stored, but the file content would not be stored a second (redundant) time.

I thought all backup programs would work like this. Or at least the vast majority. But honestly, I spent the whole weekend looking for such a tool and the ONLY LINK I could find was an interesting idea for a project. There are so many checksum tools out there. And so many backup tools. I simply can't believe that none would combine both functions.

I also had a look here but couldn't find any recommended backup tool there. Now any responsible TC user probably has a backup tool. Do you know one with checksum function ?

Thanks a lot!

PS: Clo and some others ... sorry I was quite busy, I will reply to your PMs as soon as I can.
Last edited by chrizoo on 2008-04-22, 01:20 UTC, edited 4 times in total.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

chrizoo wrote:Hi guys. What backup tools do you use ?
Hi.
The one I use was mentioned in this topic already.
chrizoo

Post by *chrizoo »

Thanks.

Hm .... I think I will limit my question then to its "moved files" and checksum aspect if I may.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Backup - not Sync ...

Post by *nsp »

Chrizoo,

Most backup tool have an underlined motto : "The backup must be similar to the source"...

Keep also in mind, that you should not spend two times more "bandwith" to do file comparison/analysis than doing brute copy !

What you are looking for is more a file-system monitoring backup... that can rename folder/file instead of deleting or whatever... this is quite difficult to do without any daemon and versioning system on those in both side !!!

To avoid too BIG change, you should better organize your file in a more static view.. EX for MP3 Have Library well organized and that does not change too much and use a working folder you modify a lot during tagging organizing ....

I also use TC to do backup, but i also use drive snapshot for real full drive backup !
chrizoo

Post by *chrizoo »

thanks for your thoughts. "similar to the source"? It must be identical, no? It's a bit like archives (7zip,etc.): you can store the data inside in any way you want, provided that you can exactly and losslessly recreate the input data. And this would be the case in my example, as you obviously don't need two or more copies of each file to restore it ;)

"Monitoring" .... you mean realtime? That's not at all what I had in mind. It should rather work a bit like CloneSpy (in case u know). Bkup progs store a file index of the archived files. The idea was that checksums would be stored at the same time during the back-up process (and at that point only).

Depending on the computer's operational field, a dynamic and fluctuating file system conditions can sometimes not be avoided. And it's particularly in those conditions that the backup process would not only be space efficient but time efficient (take the example above, I guess the checksum comparison will be faster than to rewrite 50GB). And should it take longer, it depends on your personal or your company's priorities. A backup server doesn't mind running overnight, so why save 50GB after renaming a single directory instead of checking if the files are the same and then ... save nothing! (apart from an updated index file for the backup archive) Personally I prefer storage saving over time consumption.
Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

What backup tools do you use ?
All my needs (including backup) are covered with xxcopy.
Single user license #329241
PowerPro scripts for Total Commander
chrizoo

Post by *chrizoo »

thanks. That doesn't recognize moved files, does it?
chrizoo wrote: Hm .... I think I will limit my question then to its "moved files" and checksum aspect if I may.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

chrizoo,
Try perhaps these.
(You might need German for the first one.)

[EDIT: Ah, you've already found that link. :) Well, I will keep it here anyways, for future reference.]

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
chrizoo

Post by *chrizoo »

thanks all the same, Hacker.

Hm...I still think there must be a backup tool with checksum calculation ability out there. I found the abovementioned project and, in the meanwhile, a Perl script on a russian site but not quite sure what I should do with that.
Hope someone will still come around with a solution ...
chrizoo

Post by *chrizoo »

OK, I have another "Useful 3rd party tools to complement TC" to share with you: Areca Backup. http://areca.sourceforge.net/
It features not only full, incremental and differential backups but you can choose between standard and delta backups for all three types. Apart from Storegrid that's the only consumer-level application supporting delta backup I found in a very extensive search.

But whatever backup mode you choose, these two programs and all the others that I have found cannot detect moved files. They are saved entirely as if they were completely new files.

So for that part, I'll just give up. Unless someone still shows up with another solution, I'll be obliged to work manually. I guess I'll just save a list of checksums along with the archived files and for all subsequent backups I compare my current files' checksums with the existing ones and only back up files with new checksums.
Yorker

Post by *Yorker »

Foxit just released another major version of Foxit Reader. The new version 2.3 includes a multimedia player feature allowing Foxit users to not only read PDFs, but to watch and listen to the audio/video elements coming with PDFs as well. There are a lot more.

What’s new in Foxit Reader 2.3?

* Bookmark Design
* Multi-tab Browsing
* Multimedia Player Support
* Callout and Text Box Tool
* Commenting Text Tool
* Rulers and Guides
* Magnifier
* Automatic Scrolling
* OCG Support
* FDF Related

http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You should wait with the Foxit reader update until they have fixed the 2 security bugs reported earlier by heise security, see their forum:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7505
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

ghisler(Author) wrote:You should wait with the Foxit reader update until they have fixed the 2 security bugs reported earlier by heise security, see their forum:
As new release maintenance 2.3 is out you should not wait anymore to give a try....
But for very light pdf vieving you can also give a try to Sumatra PDF viewer
Christina from FoxitSoftware wrote:Hello All, this issue has been confirmed and has been fixed with a version 2.3 maintenance release. Foxit appreciate your report.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2nsp
Maybe read this one:
http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=8268.0

PS. I am still thinking about switching from Foxit to PDFX...
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

ZoSTeR
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ZoSTeR »

ghisler(Author) wrote:You should wait with the Foxit reader update until they have fixed the 2 security bugs reported earlier by heise security, see their forum:
They just released Build 2825 which is supposed to plug the holes.