[OT] Opera / Maxthon / Firefox, etc.

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Xtrician

Post by *Xtrician »

i mean from right to left .. i cant to do it.. only write in hebrew from left to write..
Elad
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

icfu wrote:If you were a hacker then I am the pope...
May i can buy your car then? :D

Regards,
vw golf driver-ex

P.S.: Damn, where's my ebay account when i need it...?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Now when the thread was splitted, I can thank szlori without making offtopic. :)
What about choosing Opera as the main browser... Well, I tried Internet Explorer (of course :) ), Opera and Firefox. At first I liked Firefox even more than Opera - how fast it is! It's the really the fastest browser I've ever seen! But unfortunately, it did not become my choice... Its behaviour, its settings, its possibilities... Some small inconvenient things, but the number of these things is too large for me. That's why I returned back to Opera. Of course, it also has its bugs and inconveniences, but tell me, which program has not! The sum of advantages and disadvantages pointed for me directly to Opera. :)
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Xtrician
i mean from right to left .. i cant to do it.. only write in hebrew from left to write..
That works fine for me.
The only bad thing is the vertical scrollbar which should be on the left side. :-)
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

Xtrician wrote:Maxthon is poor..
the security there not good and ActiveX can to run on you pc quickly and easy..
what about Maxthon-> Options-> Download-> ActiveX & scripts ?
I thought I can turn off active scripting in Maxthon!

What is the difference between shareware version of Opera
and the full version? I think it is adware, you have to immunisize your plugin -folder?

Kind regards
Stance

No one mentioned Avant Browser, why?
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@Lefteous:
I'm quite sure this is wrong.
Nothing but basic stuff, come on... ;)
Operas executables and libaries are compressed using aspack. Is there an unpacked version?
No idea.
have a quite suspious entry in firefox context menu (not a plugin!) and it works fine.
It works only in the current folder, subfolders are ignored, that's why I said "so I have to manually sort every single folder", misunderstanding. I would have better said it like that:
[...]so I have to manually call the entry for alphabetical sorting in every single folder.

Icfu
This account is for sale
szlori

Post by *szlori »

icfu wrote:Interested in the bug fixing status of the three major browsers? Look here. ;)
Opera
Firefox
IE
Hmmm, quite impressive responsiveness from Opera.
But also note, that Firefox has the least nb of Secunia advisories, which confirms Xtrician's comments of FF being the most securely built engine. I agree with this. :wink:

Well, I like the extensibility of FF, there are a great nb of extensions (just like for TC) and I like browsing and choosing the useful ones (there are quite a lot of those). For me it doesn't matter that it's a bit simplistic without any extensions. And it's free without begging others for clicks. :wink:
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

that Firefox has the least nb of Secunia advisories
Firefox: counted from 8/2004 (17 in 9 months)
Opera: counted from 2/2003 (35 in 27 months)

;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Yeah this count is really fair - counting the bugs found in a PRG
thats allready there whith one thats new...
If you wanna do it right please count all security bugs ever found ind opera :-)
Btw finding lesser Sec-Bugs in a PRG doesnt mean its safer - only fewer people looking for them :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Yeah this count is really fair - counting the bugs found in a PRG
thats allready there whith one thats new...
Firefox codebase is much older:
Netscape -> Mozilla project -> Firebird -> Firefox
If Opera is "old" for you, Firefox is more than ever.
If you wanna do it right please count all security bugs ever found ind opera
You are perverting your own statements. First you say it's unfair to count the bugs in a "new" app and compare it with an "old" one and now you tell me that it's fair to count all bugs from the past years in Opera and compare it with the bugs of the new Firefox only.

In case you haven't recognized it: I mentioned the time period only because szlori counted the absolute bugs and draw the conclusion that Firefox is more secure because fewer bugs have been discovered till now, which is obviously wrong. You can only compare the numbers if the time period is identical so you have to wait another 18 months to be able to do fair comparisons.

Anyway, all that matters for the users is the recent version which is what people are using. Firefox is final since last year, noone counts bugs that have been discovered in the alpha and beta testing period.

Do the bugs that TC had in 1993 still count in 2005 or is it more intelligent to watch only the recent status of bugs that are not fixed despite being known?
Btw finding lesser Sec-Bugs in a PRG doesnt mean its safer - only fewer people looking for them
True, at least if you ignore the technical reasons why Opera is more secure than Firefox. Anyway, you can also say that if fewer people look for the bugs and fewer bugs are discovered the program is safer for the user because bugs that are not known can't be exploited.

Icfu
This account is for sale
chiron

Post by *chiron »

Personally I like Opera and use the (registered) version 8 for about 90%, the other 10% are shared between IE and FF.
Unfortunalety, Opera still has some problems with some sides, just try www.post.de. What I like in Opera is the speed (try http://www.numion.com/stopwatch/), and its overall look&feel.

regards,

eric
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

http://www.post.de is redirecting to an illegal URL, this should be fixed by the DPAG, not Opera.

This Opera feature is to protect you from spoofed URLs, all other browsers allow illegal URLs, that's why you can easily be trapped with IE or FF and you can't with Opera.

More info here:
http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=788

and here:
http://opera-info.de/forum/thread.php?threadid=4152

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

chiron wrote:Personally I like Opera and ...I like in Opera ... the speed (try http://www.numion.com/stopwatch/), and its overall look&feel.
mh..just test the stopwatch with betwanews.com
FF: 13.687
IE: 17.500
Opera: 01:12.703 (!!!)
dont know why...

I love FF because of AddBlock I never have to see any ChickenPics any more...
Hoecker sie sind raus!
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

www.betanews.com:

Maxthon: 9.562
Firefox: 9.532
Opera: N/A

Well, not so much difference... Anyway, that page (http://www.numion.com/stopwatch) looks interesting.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Opera: 5.528
Firefox: 7.350
IE: 10.75

Ad blockers off, of course. ;)

The link you can add as browser quick search is like that:
http://www.numion.com/stopwatch/Start.html?Url=%s

Icfu
This account is for sale