Changing the buttons in the cm_EditNewFile and cm_MkDir dialog boxes

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Changing the buttons in the cm_EditNewFile and cm_MkDir dialog boxes

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-06-30, 08:49 UTC
This seems like a weird solution to me. Wouldn't it be better to make room above the buttons?
It needs up to two lines when using a counter. And the tree button doesn't work when there are placeholders, so why not?
Because:
  • The position of the Tree button is inconsistent.
  • It's weird that buttons disappear from a dialog instead of getting disabled. Why doesn't the OK button disappear when there is an error in the rename mask?
  • The rename preview is randomly dumped in the dialog instead of designing a proper dialog.
I suggest:
  • Add a preview box below the input field which is disabled by default and enabled and used when placeholders are used.
  • Use OK, Tree, Cancel buttons positioned consistently with other dialogs.
  • Don't hide the Tree button. Disable the Tree button if you want, but I don't see a reason why i should be. BTW, why is it not possible to specify a drive in the mask when using placeholders? (In other words why is a colon not allowed?)
In the current design there are some problems:
  • If a placeholder is added and there is an error, the Tree button is not hidden. For example, first use the Tree button and then the placeholder button.
  • If placeholders are removed, the Tree button doesn't reappear.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-06-30, 08:49 UTC
BTW, why is there so much room above the input field?
It's a standard dialog also used in other functions, where the text can get longer.
Can you name the dialogs where the text can get longer?