CTRL-Z for "Undo" command

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

But if file was deleted to recycle bin?
Actually right name "was moved" to recycle bin. Not deleted. From OS file system point of view file still Ok. Just moved in different place on disk.
The problem with undo is that it gives you a false feeling of security
Exactly. Just in bold - false feeling.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The problem with undo is that it gives you a false feeling of security. In most cases, undo is not possible, e.g. when you delete directly, or when you overwrite files during copying or unpacking...
So very true! But why do we have to have an undo function for every user action? You can “easily” implement the feature Christian for certain cases having the option disabled if “reverse engineering” in not possible. If for example the user overwrites some files and you have a menu entry with the Undo selection it can be disabled similarly to the FTP Disconnect option when no connection has been established. Alternatively TC could “forcely” perform the undo with a warning message. In the above case it could inform the user that files will be moved back to the source destination without recovering the overwritten ones!!! (Practically this isn’t an undo!)

Yes I know that situations like the above can be extreme and that’s why I’ve suggested to implement this feature for certain cases only. As TC evolves, newer more sophisticated undo capabilities can be included. Why should we achieve perfection (or should I say total completion) in the first try?! ;)

Does anyone feel insecure when using the Undo feature of Explorer? (Well, I generally feel insecure using Explorer but for other reasons! ;) )
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 12-05-2003 09:47:11 +0000 Hacker wrote:

H> Thanks and same to you.

:)

H> I was referring to the content, which is probably more
H> important than the title.

So, you want to say it was OT from the first post, Jedi?! ;).

H> I did not say he participated in that thread.

And I didn't said you did ;).

H> However I remember someone saying he mailed Christian
H> concerning this and Christian responded that logging
H> would be too complex.

Na zabore tozhe napisano... I prefer to get such information directly from Christian (or to have at list a quotation of his answer) - like now. For the people, who can read the things became clear instantly ;).[/face]
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 11-05-2003 01:29:56 +0000 klausm wrote:

k> I am talking about simple shortcut Ctrl+Z in Explorer which
k> can ie. fast undelate files instead of open Recycle Bin and
k> undelate/restore it, or unmove files instead of ... etc.

Well, imagine you deleted 10 Mb from your FTP. Should Commander undo that too? Or for example, you moved some files from 500 Mb archive. In case of undoing should Commander keep a copy of old archive or repack that files back?
You see, Commander is not Explorer. And it means a bit another working ideology. Indeed it would "a false feeling of security" if undo would be implemented for some operations, but wouldn't for another, I hope you understand, why. So just do not delete if you are not sure.[/face]
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

H> I was referring to the content, which is probably more
H> important than the title.
So, you want to say it was OT from the first post, Jedi?! ;).

a) I do not remember the first post.
b) I consider threads OT if they do not have much with the topic of the forum in common.

Anyways.
:P

H> I did not say he participated in that thread.
And I didn't said you did ;).

LOL OK. ;)

Roman
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 20:26 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

IMO this topic should be in an FAQ; I'm personally sick of seeing it or it's numerous variations.

FAQ:
1. Undo/Undelete/Unerase/Restore:
a. Don't delete anything you aren't sure about.
b. Possible fix: Christian will create a new kind of warning for deletion, instead of the usual warning given, the user will be given a lengthy page with random select boxes the purpose of which would be to slow down the delete confirmation so that the user would have about 1/2 an hour to think if he really wants the file deleted. (If after this proccess the delete operation was done mistakenly than the user fully deserves the consequences).

Cheers.
Last edited by JackFoo on 2003-05-13, 15:27 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 13-05-2003 11:40:19 +0000 Hacker wrote:

H> a) I do not remember the first post.

Well, it doesn't worth it... ;)

H> b) I consider threads OT if they do not have much with
H> the topic of the forum in common.

Like our little flame now? ;)

H> Anyways.

Yep, anyway ;).
As for me, that thread was completely senseless, except for conclusions I draw about "people involved". But that was worth it, I guess ;).[/face]
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 07-03-2003 06:22:29 +0000 JackFoo wrote:

J> IMO this topic should be in an FAQ; I'm personally sick of seeing
J> it or it's numerous variations.

Completely agree with you, comrad Jack ;).

J> FAQ:
[^Y]

Well, it reminds me good old KGB-time joke:

Do not speak.
If you did, do not write it down.
If you did, do not sign it.
And if you did, do not be surprised...

So if they did, they fully deserve the consequences... %)[/face]
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Well, it reminds me good old KGB-time joke
Yeah, KGB were the best, such a pitty they aren't what they used to be (lol).

EDIT: btw it reminds me of a C-FAQ:
11.4: Once I've used freopen, how can I get the original stdout (or stdin) back?
Call main() - the environment will be restored.
11.15: How do I open Flood Control Dam #3?
PUSH THE YELLOW BUTTON. TURN THE BOLT WITH THE WRENCH. (You must have the wrench, first.)
You can see the full masterpiece at (you need to know C)
http://www.plethora.net/~seebs/faqs/c-iaq.html

Cheers.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

By the way, I did a little research over the Internet about the Undo feature of Explorer. I couldn’t find a single forum or something with users being negative about the existence of this feature on Explorer.

Hmmm… probably I didn’t search enough, didn’t I? :D ;)

As for people continuing the war here… well, what can I say other than I’m tired!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Black Dog,
H> b) I consider threads OT if they do not have much with
H> the topic of the forum in common.
Like our little flame now? ;)

Flame? What flame?

Well, it reminds me good old KGB-time joke:

Endless loop, (n.) (phr.), see Loop, endless.

:)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

It reminds of an endless loop.... eh ... (have we been here already??)

(Couldn't resist, given this is the most interesting thread on this board right now [which just says how bad the others are])

Cheers.
Thorz

Post by *Thorz »

I was looking for undo in the forum and I came across this thread. It is quite old and I am going to take it back to date.

As I am new to TC, I still cannot go too deep in some discussions about the program, but I am 100% in favor of an undo feature in TC. It doesn't need to ba an UNERASE feature, there are other programs to do that, but I mean an undo for operations like COPY and MOVE, this is not so difficult. Sometimes I move files accidentally and I cannot remember where I just put them, maybe because they went to the wrong directory, in this cases the undo of explorer has just put the things like they were before. This kind of thing is not so deep as an unerase operation, the files are there, is just revert the last operation. For cases like packaged files and other more complex situations the undo could just be disabled, it is still very useful if it can undo copy and move operations.

Thanks a lot.
krojc

Post by *krojc »

I do get in shift-del trouble occasionaly, but I don't think Undo should/could replace Backup/Caution.

If "undo action" is ever gonna be implemented I think "repeat action" is far more useful (and happens more often!). As for the undo and repeat solution I suggenst scripting. (eg. Copy path1 path2 logs as Copy path2 path1 for undo and stays the same for repeat)

Using Symantec Products adds Protect Recicle Bin which means that even shift-del can be unerased... thank GOD!