why Delphi 2.0?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

B@rndH wrote: Good point! :shock: BTW: does anybody know if is there are WC/TC-museum where one can download old versions?
Send me an valid email address and I can provide you an Account on my private FTP Server for downloading the versions :
v 1.12e\, v 1.13e\, v 1.22\, v 1.30e\, v 1.50\, v 1.61\, v 2.00\, v 2.01\,
v 2.11\, V 3.01\, v 3.02\, v 3.03 udate3.02 auf 3.03\, v 3.52\, v 3.53\
v 4.0\, v 4.03\, v 4.51\, v 4.52\, v 4.54\, v 5.0\, v 5.11\, v 5.51\, v 5.51a\
v 6.00\, v 6.01\, v 6.02\, V 6.03\, V 6.03a\

I have tken them once from Club Total which is unfortunately down for several month.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

B@rndH
BTW: does anybody know if is there are WC/TC-museum where one can download old versions?
There is a polish site with the old versions:
http://totalcmd.pl/download/app/old/
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

2Flint
Thanks for the link. I just a look at it. What a pity that my polish is so poor. :( Apparently the site has its advantages!

2Sheepdog
Since I'm not too keen on downloading from a site I do not understand I'm going to PM you my email-address and hope that I may download from you tonight. A good ftp-client is certainly available! :wink: :wink:
Edit: Just found that PMing is disabled in this forum. I'm going to contact you via ICQ later this evening. Sorry about the delay.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

2B@rndH

Please use my Emailbutton instead of ICQ because I'm hardly online these days.

BTW It may take a bit of time to download because I have only ISDN i.e. max 64Kbit/s.

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

Sheepdog wrote:2B@rndH

Please use my Emailbutton instead of ICQ because I'm hardly online these days.
Oops ... something learned again ... email-button *sigh*
Sheepdog wrote:BTW It may take a bit of time to download because I have only ISDN i.e. max 64Kbit/s.
ahem ... I don't want to bother you or be a burden to your telephone bill. Do you want me to download it from the polish site? On the other hand ... you wouldn't have offered it in the first place if you did not want me to do the download ... :roll:
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

B@rndH wrote: ... you wouldn't have offered it in the first place if you did not want me to do the download ... :roll:
Exactly. You don't bother me and I have a ISDN flatrate. So it is no problem at all but I wanted you to know that it could take some time.

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
lhay-mehr

Post by *lhay-mehr »

B@rndH wrote:Because the units of a version are delicately entwined thus depending on the proper existing of the elements presumed to reside in the other units. Well, in the end he would end in writing his own compiler? Nawww ... :?!
Well if the file size between D2 and D7 Forms unit is so big then the differences aren't that big to reimplement right? Anyway, it was just a thought. I doubt that anyone would go and do that.
B@rndH wrote:I certainly want to press Sheepdog's and Clo's point. Anyone of us can only decide for oneself whether floppies and 16bit OSses are behind him; everybody else is free to decide that for himself!
Yeah whatever.

@majkinetor: I'm not advocating that the TC becomes a 700 MB package, but since it's so slim now and there are stronger and stronger machines comming out each day, a little overhead wouldn't hurt.

A Pro version for bigger bucks..?
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

When Totalcmd.exe is unpacked by UPX it's 2.21 MB (from 817kb). Would be interesting to know what size it compiles to under a higher delphi version, and what size UPX reduces it to though.

It's also likely near time for TC code to diverge to a 32/16bit program, and to a 64bit one.
ado

Re: why Delphi 2.0?

Post by *ado »

Zenman wrote:seems many long-waiting features (unicode,iconized menu, temporary panel, etc) are not due to Mr. ghisler's ability, but to the old delphi 2.0 compiler.
just a little curious: why Mr. Ghisler not update compiler?
...and one more reason. Christian mentioned once, that he changed code of a lot of standard units/libraries from Delphi just to bugfixing or to provide new functionality. Therefore to use new Delphi with new libraries could be the way through hell.

ado
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Christian mentioned once, that he changed code of a lot of standard units/libraries from Delphi just to bugfixing or to provide new functionality. Therefore to use new Delphi with new libraries could be the way through hell.
It shouldn't be so bad. I marked the changes I made for this purpose. The main changes are for Unicode support, which I backported from a VCL change someone else made for a later Delphi version.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

B@rndH at previous page wrote:
majkinetor wrote: Example:

NERO 7 ULTRA comes in 700MB package !!!!???.
Why, oh, why..... When somebody copy it to my HD (ups...) I droped SHIFT+DELETE on it with overwealming pleasure. FU*K OF from my system. I have 50K TC Burner and that's like it should be.
Well, of course you're right if that's how it should be ... for you.
Apparently other people enjoy Nero despite (or because ) of its HD-crushing size and of course they are free to enjoy themselves with that.
Ok, this is maybe good time to share this info with you folks.

Yesterdey I tried to burn Audio CD with notorious NERO 7 (latest build). Before that, I normalised the songs so that they peak at to 0db.
After recording all songs were 6db less loud which is exactly one half of perceived laudness. 1/2 ?!?!

Now.... the same burrner, the same CD, the same PC but different software: Sony CD Architect. Excellent tool. I created project the same way with same parameters. Everything was right this stime.

I am writing you this because this error may not be t so obvious for people that don't deal with audio. No filters were set in Nero project yet it burned different data....

So, B@rndH what now ?
Habemus majkam!
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

majkinetor ! wrote:So, B@rndH what now ?
Well, I obviously don't know what now ... :shock: ... all I meant to say was "let 'em do how they want to do it" (them & they meaning other users). Where's the problem with that?

I didn't say that oversized software-packages are what everybody needs or that their producers should make them such large.
I just said "let the users decide what they want to use".

You are probably right to denounce such "mammoths" and point out their short-comings. That's not my point.
Just let the users decide .... that their decision might not be as we would like it to be is something else entirely (just thinking about the enormous percentage of users of the infamous outl..... :shock:).

With regard to burning tools: I will keep on enjoying sweet tools like Tiamat's CD/DVD-burning-plugin for TC (http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/tcburner.html) .... although it may have shortcomings, too.

I hope that clears the misunderstanding. Have fun and enjoy yourself.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

I just said "let the users decide what they want to use".
Of course, but we are trying to be above average users here, not because we are snobish but because we want more.

Otherwise, we would all use Explorer instead TC

Anyway, I really think that 99% of people don't understand what is goiong on in the background so I posted this to inform you all not use NERO if you are burnning Audio CDs.... that's all.
I hope that clears the misunderstanding. Have fun and enjoy yourself.
There was no misunderstandin... I just wanted to share this information with rest of you.
I am wishing you the same.
Habemus majkam!
MPS

Post by *MPS »

NERO 7 ULTRA comes in 700MB package !!!!???.
Why, oh, why..... When somebody copy it to my HD (ups...) I droped SHIFT+DELETE on it with overwealming pleasure. FU*K OF from my system. I have 50K TC Burner and that's like it should be.
if you dont like the site, why do you even bother? i used nero 6 which was 'just' 15-30mb. no need to install _everything_...

back to the topic: i would go for newer v.s of delphi - much more possibilites. i moved from delphi 2 to 6 and i love it. and the speed/size - it's not that big of a difference. and there're always the older versions available...
frenky

Post by *frenky »

Does some versions of Delphi nativly support unicode?
If not is it planned?
Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture.