CTRL-Z for "Undo" command

English support forum

Moderators: Hacker, petermad, Stefan2, white

Thorz

Post by *Thorz »

krojc wrote:I do get in shift-del trouble occasionaly, but I don't think Undo should/could replace Backup/Caution.

If "undo action" is ever gonna be implemented I think "repeat action" is far more useful (and happens more often!). As for the undo and repeat solution I suggenst scripting. (eg. Copy path1 path2 logs as Copy path2 path1 for undo and stays the same for repeat)

Using Symantec Products adds Protect Recicle Bin which means that even shift-del can be unerased... thank GOD!
Yes you are right. I have used Norton protected recycle bin for ages. But now that I am migrating from NAV to other AV products I have installed Undelete Professional Edition from Executive Software and I think is a much better product than the Norton Unerase. But if you have Norton products then the Unerase comes free with them :)
krojc

Post by *krojc »

Obviously "redo" or "repear" isn't so popular idea... :)
Alya

Post by *Alya »

I just switched to Total Commander from Explorer and find absence of Undo feature very inconvenient.

Most of the arguments in the thread seem to focus on Undoing deletions. That's really not what the undo feature is all about. I can open Recycle Bin and "Restore" file - that's only two clicks. What about actions which require 5-10 minutes to "undo"?

Example: I was sorting my eBooks and moved a bunch of files and folders to wrong directory, which already contained a lot of stuff of its own (I wanted to move them to an empty directory that I just created). Nothing was overwritten (as I would get confirmation before overwriting anything). I just wanted to "undo" the move - and discovered that wasn't possible. "Date Created" didn't correspond to time of the move because it only gets reset when you "copy" (as opposed to "move") files to new directory. And different files had different "Created" dates. I had to look at each file and folder individually and decide where it should go, based on title and content. It took long time to sort out that mess manually - soomething that could have been done with one click in Explorer :(
Last edited by Alya on 2005-02-03, 02:08 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Clo

Hummm----

Post by *Clo »

2Thorz
:) Hello !
Ctrl+Z is already used in TC for "Edit a comment"…

¤ About an "Undo" function, I remember that the Author wasn't very in favour of such a feature :(
- But nothing forbids you to request it again ;)

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Thorz

Post by *Thorz »

After all this time I don't think the authot is interested at all in an undo funtion. It is really a pity. It is pointless to request this anymore, this thread has been open on 2003 and we are already in 2005.
krojc

Post by *krojc »

As I mentioned more that a year ago... :)
Repeat X function is far more interesting than undo. kind of Krusader's useraction system

If you create backups (no undo needed :) ) daily only one click on the script is needed to goto source folder -> select *.db -> create folder backup -da.te.05 -> pack them in this new folder -> test archive.

or for those bothered with MS temp, IE ofline, cookies...
klick icon -> TC deletes the contents of \Temp, Temporaty internet...

On this king of scripting system one could expect undo functionality if not for deletion. For the first example...

unpack *.db to source dir -> del backup-da.te.05
Alya

Post by *Alya »

Windows Explorer has "Undo" function and I never had any problems with it. It was helpful on many occasions and I don't recollect a single bad experience with it...

Did Mr. Ghisler ever explain why he was not interested in Undo function?
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2Alya
Well in this very thread on the first page, Ghisler states:
The problem with undo is that it gives you a false feeling of security. In most cases, undo is not possible, e.g. when you delete directly, or when you overwrite files during copying or unpacking...
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Did Mr. Ghisler ever explain why he was not interested in Undo function?
Plz read his post: CTRL-Z for "Undo" command (BTW: it's the same link which I mentioned here.)
Alya

Post by *Alya »

Oh, I thought it was more of a side comment, not the real reason... Advanced computer users don't need to be "protected from themselves". Given the amount of understanding and configuration Total Commander requires, I think majority of its users are not lamers...

It's hard to believe that a majority who could make good use of the command is deprived of such a useful feature because a minority could get "false sense of security" and format C: counting on "Undo" command... :)

It just seems that this could hardly be the whole reason...
szlori

Post by *szlori »

I agree, there could be undo/redo commands.
Even though many operations are not unduable, there are some that are and for those commands it could be useful.

Of course, this is not an easy task to implement.
I would even dare to say that it could make TC much heavier...
Thorz

Post by *Thorz »

szlori wrote:I agree, there could be undo/redo commands.
Even though many operations are not unduable, there are some that are and for those commands it could be useful.
This is exactly the reason why I was requesting this, just for the easy file operations, it doesn't hurt if it is just for copy and move and stops there. I am very sad that many members just attack the idea because they don't like it, and I am not agree with the "false feeling of security" argument, if it is stated that the undo is just for copy and move, why this would offer a false security feeling? If you have overwritten files with a copy / move operation OFF COURSE you cannot have your old ones back.

To stop to implemment a feature like this just because it may be missunderstood by a very few ammount of stupid users is a big mistake. TC is a powerful program, it gives you back the power that MS took from you in Explorer, the "false security" argumment really doesn't hold guys.

I agree with Alya, if there is a big reason not to make this "semi undo" implementation please tell it to us, but don't come with the false security argumment please.

And about the backups: Off course everybody should have backups, but I have faced the situation described by Alya when I was organizing my files before burning them to my DVD BACKUP, the files were not lost, they were just missplaced. This can happen to anyone so don't come and say that you all have a tape drive / external HD making FULL SYS BACKUP every 24 hours, that's ridiculous in a home enviroment. Sorry but the argument of "don't do it if you are not 100% sure" doesn't hold here either. We are all careful, and I don't think that we would be so stupid to ask for undo of operations like a drive format, and this doesn't stop the function to be present in every OS out there no?

If undo worries so many users here, please make it as an option then, for that the brave ones can just turn it off and continue in their "true secure" world.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

many members just attack the idea because they don't like it
Certainly this is not the reason why this feature request is being attacked.
To stop to implemment a feature like this just because it may be missunderstood by a very few ammount of stupid users is a big mistake. [...] the "false security" argumment really doesn't hold guys.
I assume you are not the developer of a program who has to face legal charges in case a few stupid users misread what the Undo function is about.

I am sure you can imagine many scenarios where a few lawsuits can bring a company to its knees.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Thorz

Post by *Thorz »

Hacker wrote:
I am sure you can imagine many scenarios where a few lawsuits can bring a company to its knees.
Roman
Is it then about lawsuits? Then why MS Explorer and many other explorer replacers that have undo implemmented don't face these feared lawsuits that you are speaking about? If you look at the features of other products that conpete with TC you can find that UNDO is implemmented, and please (this is not directed to you Hacker) don't flame my post with the classical "then go and use those other products" sentence, I love TC and that's why after evaluatting the others I decided to buy it, but I am always in favor of improvements like this one.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@Thorz:
Activating Explorer copy method and/or Explorer delete method in TC makes it possible to use the undo in Explorer afterwards, maybe this is an option for you?

Your first thought was correct:
After all this time I don't think the authot is interested at all in an undo funtion. It is really a pity. It is pointless to request this anymore, this thread has been open on 2003 and we are already in 2005.
This is the only true reason (besides limited time and additional developers), it's a waste of time to discuss it at all because ghisler doesn't like UNDO, simple as that, no matter how logical the proposal is. If HE doesn't like something but ALL users would like it, he would still NOT implement it.

I'd like to see an undo feature, too, you can be sure that you are not the only one but I have given up on that matter. ;)

Icfu
Last edited by icfu on 2005-03-29, 14:12 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This account is for sale