New SFTP plugin available now

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

OK, I got it working now, but I have a few questions about it. Would anyone be willing to go email with me to explain a few things and to make sure I got it right? I don't want to clutter of the thread any more than I already have.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
myfreexp

UTF-8

Post by *myfreexp »

2ghisler: May I ask for a reply to this post?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have already made it clear that it's not the plugin's job to show names with the WRONG encoding correctly. The user has to choose the correct encoding if the plugin cannot auto-detect it. Otherwise the plugin would upload new files with the wrong encoding because the user thinks that everything is OK...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
myfreexp

Post by *myfreexp »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I have already made it clear that it's not the plugin's job to show names with the WRONG encoding correctly.
<sigh> And I've already made it clear that this is not what I'm talking about. Because it's not possible to show them "correctly", and replacing the 8bit char with a "?" (as PuTTY does) is everything else than to show them correctly. But it's the best and only thing you can do, at least a lot better than blindly decoding UTF-8 sequences to no avail which are no UTF-8 sequences at all. Avoiding this is called "defensive programming".

It's all about to keep such files and directories accessible, renameable, deleteable etc. pp. rather than producing garbage. I tried to be helpful, contributed code that should show you that it IS possible to detect false UTF-8 encodings (of which you first stated that it would NOT), but either you don't read or you don't understand my posts. At least you don't respond to the details, and this is not the way of technical discussion that I prefer. All in all you apparently don't care about the problem (while PuTTY does).

It's ok... Before we come to transfer resume (the next issue that I would have raised as it doesn't work at all) and you'd be telling me that "it's not the plugin's job to deal with interrupted connections", I'll better go for WinSCP.

Too bad, but what can I do.
ghisler(Author) wrote:Otherwise the plugin would upload new files with the wrong encoding because the user thinks that everything is OK...
If that's really your position, you haven't understood a word.

But good luck with the plugin, anyway.

How to display filenames ending with a dot

Post by *848 »

I use TC 7.5 Beta2 with the SFTP Plugin 0.94 beta and libcurl 7.19.4 to view files on a Unix system. On this Unix system I have two nearly equal filenames. The difference is that one filename ends with a dot.

Example; First file is named “test”, second file is named “test.” (thus ending with a dot)

Total Commander does not display the dot before the file extension. The first file in my example has no extension. This filename is displayed correctly. The second file also has no extension, but ends with a dot. TC does not display this last dot. TC displays the files “test“ and “test.” with the same name, “test”

If I download the file from the Unix system to my local drive (NTFS), The download dialog shows the filename including the dot. “Download to: D:\test.” XP does not allow filenames ending with a dot, so TC downloads the file “/test.” to C:\test” TC renames this file from test. to “test” without a dot. If I now try to download the file “test” TC asks me to overwrite this file. I know this behaviour is not a TC problem. However, it would be nice to see filenames ending with a dot. Also, when copying a file ending with a dot, a warning of the file being renamed would help. Is it possible to display filenames ending with a dot? I could not find a setting for it. Is it even possible to do this?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed it's currently not possible to support file names which end with a dot, because Windows doesn't allow such names. TC therefore removes such trailing dots, the plugin cannot do anything about it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com

Post by *848 »

Thanks for your reply. I know Windows does not allow files to end with a dot and TC has to do something with this limitation. Not showing the dot is not the most elegant way to deal with this Windows limitation. After-all the plug-in will mainly be used with Unix file systems on which it is possible to use files ending with a dot. It would be useful if TC at least shows the dot. Now I can only see which file to open using F5. In the download dialog the dot is shown. So, in some cases TC is capable of showing the dot. Maybe a "view only" option can be added in the next version? We'll see. For me this is the only thing missing in a really great plug-in.
larry99

Post by *larry99 »

I agree, it is a great plugin but there is still something on my wish list:

It would be so helpful to have some more flexibility with the proxy settings.
For some connections I never need a proxy, for some I need a proxy depending on the net I am in.
Either the setting should be per entry. Then I could just double my connection entries and have one with, one without proxy or alternatively and even better to have a little check box somewhere or a pseudo-file to switch the proxy on/off.
At the moment I have to reenter everything (host, port, type) to switch it on again.

Well, and another one: some sort of really transparent file editing on the remote host. No questions, just open and save with any editor would be really great!
TWatcher

Post by *TWatcher »

I support the wish of larry99:
It would be so helpful to have some more flexibility with the proxy settings. For some connections I never need a proxy, for some I need a proxy depending on the net I am in.
Would be good to have the possibility to configure a proxyy per connection or to have at least some "base proxy configurations" which I can assign to a connection.
tosbsas

Post by *tosbsas »

A New Generation transformed by the Power of God
MarkFilipak

Post by *MarkFilipak »

What is the proper SFTP plugin?

I've been using the one based on libcurl (i.e., sftpplug094beta). It works but has a weird user interface.

Now I see one based on putty (i.e., sftp4tc). I installed it but couldn't connect. There doesn't seem to be any documentation or help.

What am I doing wrong? Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks
Hi Christian! Delighted customer since 1999. License #37627
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

There is no PROPER plugin.
Still 2 different plugins from 2 different authors.

You can use both in parallel and report bugs about sftpplug in this thread, while bugs about sftp4tc should be reported in the according other thread.
#5767 Personal license
MarkFilipak

Post by *MarkFilipak »

sqa_wizard wrote:
There is no PROPER plugin.
Still 2 different plugins from 2 different authors.

You can use both in parallel and report bugs about sftpplug in this thread, while bugs about sftp4tc should be reported in the according other thread.
Thanks for the clarification. I have written a much needed help file for the libcurl-based, SFTP plugin. Who can I send that to?

Also, the TC, plugin web site: http://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm links only the putty-based, SFTP plugin. Can that be corrected?
Hi Christian! Delighted customer since 1999. License #37627
Mikefield
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Mikefield »

MarkFilipak wrote:I have written a much needed help file for the libcurl-based, SFTP plugin. Who can I send that to?
Sounds great, could you post a link to download the help file?

mf
Bankster - Word of the Year 2009
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Yes, a help file would be great.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license