Is TC 7.5 public beta out?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, operic.
operic wrote:In this new version, when I try to copy and paste files/folders using Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V, nothing happens!

What should I do to revert this behavior to the behavior of previous versions?
Hi, Operic.
  • (1) I cannot confirm that the Explorer Copy Method does not work. I.e. it works here. Tested it. ctlr-c plus ctrl-v will copy a file, ctrl-x plus ctrl-v will move a file. The same is true for whole folders,
    (Total Commander v7.50 Public Beta 1, Windows XP Pro SP2 32bit)
  • (2) You should have created a new thread and reported your problem, because this is a pretty generic thread about the question "Is TC 7.5 public beta out?" - The answer to this question is "yes". Thread closed, I'd say. :wink:
    (Perhaps one of the moderators can be bothered to split your post from this thread and move it into a separate thread, please?)
Kind regards,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I cannot reproduce that either. Maybe you installed an Explorer shell extension which crashes the context menu? This will also affect Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

2operic
If you didn't change your settings, submit it as a bug. It's not planned and doesn't happen on all machines.
balver

Unicode vs file comments

Post by *balver »

The new TC works great for now, thanks. But my concern is lack of Unicode support in file comments. Is it even possible to adjust old descript.ion format to work with Unicode? I'm afraid not. So wouldn't it be great to add support for another format of comments container. Maybe XML based? I've seen something like this long time ago in one of linux distributions (might be used by Nautilus in Gnome - I'm not sure), so maybe it wouldn't have to be designed from scratch. What do you think about this?
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2balver
Nice idea which could be realised by WDX plugin and small tool.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

jjk

Post by *jjk »

I don't find the point 6 of this in this.
Yet, it seems to me that it is an important enhancement, and that it is fully working.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed file comments via descript.ion do not support Unicode. Using a different file just for Total Commander isn't acceptable, no one else would use it. descript.ion, on the other side, is used by many other programs too...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
balver

Post by *balver »

2ghisler(Author)

What I suggested was adding a support for a new format, like there is already available support for "files.bbs". For a reason that you've indicated it should not be set as default. The "descript.ion" comments could be left as a default option, but for people, who need more flexible features (like Unicode, but maybe some more, like tags) there should be available another format just as an option.

I've also mentioned Nautilus in Gnome for a reason. If there is used somewhere out there any XML based format for this purpose, it should be used, because as you said letting TC leave "its non-standalone garbage files" (not your words actually, but I can imagine, what some people could think about the files) in folders isn't acceptable. Like myself for example can't accept "thumbs.db" wandering around my system. So I understand this point of view.

To sum up it's all about giving the users posibility, a feature. Let them decide if they need it.

I'll try to do a research if there is any XML based format and if successful, I'll post some info here.

2fenix_productions
It could be realized the way you proposed, but it isn't that easy. What about TC option "Copy comments with files"? Reproducing it externally would require a tool that tracks every copy/move action, which could be rather inefficient and unpredictible (i.e. copying via network shares).
Last edited by balver on 2009-04-17, 22:01 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TC registered user: #172461
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2balver
I agree with you completely. Handling old formats is good but can backfire when you want something more.

XML might be good even if there is no standard for XML comments. If TC can have it's own XML structure, it could be easily converted into another other just by using XSLT. Knowing how much plugins exist and how many users TC has, it seems to be obvious that a lot of "transformation schemas" would be available.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

balver

Post by *balver »

2fenix_productions

I'm glad my voice is supported :wink:

Unfortunately there is no trace of any programs using XMLs for descriptions for every folder like it works with "descript.ion".

The only one isn't even for Windows and it is Nautilus as I correctly recalled before. I've got a little info about the Nautilus metafiles. There is a difference how the files are handled. They are stored in user's home directory, which is good for Linux and security, but not good for portability. Additionally, there is no official specification of those metafiles. No XML schema defined or any other details. Of course it could be easily reverse-engineered, but IMHO it's not the way adding such feature to TC should be planned.

What's left is defining own (better) XML based format with XML Schema announced and adding a possibility to use it as an option (theoretically speaking).

Of course the last word belongs to Christian.

Edit:
In the long term, if we want full Unicode support in TC, all of the configuration files (wincmd.ini, mnu, lng, bar, inc) should be somehow adjusted. I think it is good time to consider if the XML isn't better for all of their functions.

And yes, I've noticed, that .bar files already support UTF-8, thanks :)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I vote for an internal database, just like we have with thumbnails.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Hacker wrote:I vote for an internal database, just like we have with thumbnails.

Roman
With thumbnails, it's just a cache.
Database doesn't seem reasonably mobile solution, reinstall OS => loose all comments, connect a HDD to another computer => loose all comments, use anything other than TC for moving files => loose comments etc...
balver

Post by *balver »

I vote against :twisted:

I keep commented files on my external HDDs/pendrives while I don't need thumbs there.

But it also could be an option to choose:
* Store meta information in related folder (as XML)
* Store meta information in %AppData%\GHISLER (as db - SQLite?)
Clo

OMG !

Post by *Clo »

2balver

:) Hello !
… I think it is good time to consider if the XML isn't better for all of their functions. …
:shock: OMG ! Take pity on us, no XML ! It's a pain in the neck to handle for us, translators… :(
- Switching to UT8¦16 text files isn't a big problem though, and could do the trick if needed later.
- But for XML, please wait for after my funeral (not so far, finally…) :P

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ehab

Post by *ehab »

>Clo

may allah give you long healthy life : )
#181344 Personal licence