New SFTP plugin available now

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flachzange

Post by *Flachzange »

Thanks. Haven't seen the final version yet. I installed it with the latest openssh libraries, but unfortunately the problem is still there. I noticed, that the CPU load is only 100% when copying files to the sftp server. No problems when copying from the sftp share.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Strange, do you get this with both SFTP and SCP transfer mode? SCP can be set in the options of the connection (Alt+Enter on connection name).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flachzange

Post by *Flachzange »

This works fine, for both ways. So I'll keep with SCP. Thanks for the hint.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, I will check what the problem is with SSH tranfer mode.
Cooperdale

Great!

Post by *Cooperdale »

Best plugin ever! I've been spending days looking for a software to speedily browse my new unix media server, and transfer files from a folder to another without having to pass through the lan.

Then it came to mind: there must be something for TC. But this is better than my wildest dreams!

I just realized that I'm becoming geeker and geeker with age.
chrizoo

Post by *chrizoo »

Sorry, this has surely been answered somewhere, but ...
... why make a plugin for SFTP instead of adding SFTP directly to the main FTP connection manager in TotalCommander?

thank you
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Because SFTP has nothing to do with FTP, except for the similar name - it's so different that it cannot be integrated into the FTP client, sorry.
chrizoo

Post by *chrizoo »

I would like to politely disagree. SFTP might be very different "under the hood" from a developper's point of view. But from the user perspective there is a LOT in common. In fact the whole GUI could be re-used (with very minor adaptions*) !! And that should be the decisive argument.

(*) maybe add "lock" symbols to SFTP connections
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

2chrizoo: SFTP is a function that is not needed by everyone.

This is the main reason why plugins are available !

If you have a single TC with all functions available all over the world, we got an EXE of lets say 10 GB size.
- this will not fit into a 32-bit OS
- this will slow down performance

I like a tiny, high performance and reliable TC with all the functionality fitting to my personal needs.
This is not what others may need ... but this is what makes TC that strong for me.
Everyone can build his own TC with all functionalities needed ... no less, no more !
#5767 Personal license
chrizoo

Post by *chrizoo »

it's always a tradeoff. But I think what makes TC special is its fantastic feature set. There are a lot of tiny file managers around and if it were only for speed and size people could chose any of them, but the fact that you can literally do anything with TC makes people prefer it over any other any day.
rei

Post by *rei »

great plugin !

it's possible to implemente in the "change attribues" dialog the optin to

- Change the "group" and "owner"
- [ ] Set group, owner an permission recursively (if selection is a DIR)

also it's possibile when edit/save a file on server the file is immediatley upload in the background whitout any confirmation ? (Like winscp)
Last edited by rei on 2010-09-23, 13:38 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ThiefMaster

Post by *ThiefMaster »

Usually you cannot chown() stuff unless you are root. Are you really connecting as root?
chgrp() is not a bad idea though. I think TC could even display a nice GUI for that (if there's a good way to retrieve a list of the own groups).
laimonas123

Post by *laimonas123 »

Wow, nice update, awsome. Waitting it for long time. Now much better and easier to use it. Thanks.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

ThiefMaster wrote:Usually you cannot chown() stuff unless you are root.
To be precise:
  • Normal users who are not root are free to give away their own files and folders to other users. So they can chown() files and folders which are their property.
  • root has got the right to give away anybody's files and folders to other users. So root can chown() files and folders no matter whose property they are.
Karl
ThiefMaster

Post by *ThiefMaster »

The first is not true on linux:

Only a privileged process (Linux: one with the CAP_CHOWN capability) may change the owner of a file. The owner of a file may change the group of the file to any group of which that owner is a member. A privileged process (Linux: with CAP_CHOWN) may change the group arbitrarily.