New SFTP plugin available now

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, ThiefMaster.

All right. I will check out whether chown and chgrp behave differently on Ubuntu Linux 10.04 from how they behave on HP-UX 11.31 and report back.

<added>

Results of tests done yesterday and today:
  • HP-UX 11.31: Behaviour of chgrp/chown as explained by me.
  • Redhat EL5: Behaviour of chgrp/chown as explained by you, ThiefMaster.
  • Ubuntu Linux 9.10 Behaviour of chgrp/chown as explained by you, ThiefMaster.
OK. ThiefMaster, you seem to be right. Unprivileged users cannot chown their own files and folders on Linux.

</added>

Kind regards,
Karl
znotft

Post by *znotft »

I am new to this sftp stuff.

Authentication using pageant (client cert in Putty format):
===========================================================
You can now store the key in Putty's pageant.exe tool.
Pageant can be launched when needed by putting a link
in the plugin directory named pageant.lnk pointing to
c:\PathToPutty\pageant.exe cert_file_name
with the name of the client certificate file as a parameter.

I don't understand what cert_file_name should be. I have installed the plugin and copy the dlls into the plugin file. But I cannot get through this authentication step.

Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

"cert_file_name" is supposed to be path to your certificate and depends on name and location of the file. You don't really have to use pageant.lnk at all, you just need Pageant running while connecting to server. Link is just an option to help you if you would start Pageant manually. Using the link TC will start it for you.
ultrajakob

Post by *ultrajakob »

When I have SCP enabled I get an "Error downloading file!" message.

I am using the latest .dll's and 1.0final and read through the thread and tested with and without spaces in filenames.

With SCP disabled it works just fine, but the problem is the speed. There is almost a 1MB/s difference between downloading a file with TC and this plugin compared to Winscp.

Any ideas?

And also, when you upload/download files you can't *move* (F6) them, i e that the file is being deleted once uploaded/downloaded. Not the most important thing in the world but I use it alot so it's just a little bit annoying having to manually delete the file after i "moved" it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

What file names are invloved? Any special characters or spaces in the path? The SCP functions are a bit problematic with them, the behaviour changes from version to version of the dlls...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Stone10

Basic help with SFTP

Post by *Stone10 »

Hi,
I'm not new to TC or FTP but I am ashamed to say, I cannot solve this issue, so I am trying here.
I searched the forums for such a problem, but didn't find, so, I am making this post, hoping you can help me.

The problem:
Cannot see a SFTP menu option. As a result, I cannot use SFTP to connect to servers using the method.

My configuration:
TC v7.04 on XP SP3.
TC installed dir: "c:\TotalCommander"
SFTP plugin location: "c:\TotalCommander\plugin\wfx"

I downloded the final SFTP plugin and "curl-7.21.2-devel-mingw32" according to the links on the TC plugin page.
(about 2-3 days before this post, so, it is all updated)

I copied the files from the "installstuff" (5 files) and from the "bin" subdir of "curl-7.21.2-devel-mingw32" (7 DLLs into the SFTP plugin location.

I updated the wincmd.ini as you can see in the attached screen shot.

I did everytrhing according to the instructions of the "install.txt" that comes within the plugin's zip.
I expected to see a new option under the "Net" menu: "Secure FTP Connection" (or as I renamed it: "SFTP Connection").
I cannot find any such option anywhere.

I made 2 screenshots, one of the "net" menu, and one of the configuration, in case it might help in some way.

Menu:
http://i51.tinypic.com/e5fc5g.jpg

Config:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2rrrmld.jpg

All I wanted is to connect to a server that uses SFTP.
Can you please help me?
What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.
Henrie

Post by *Henrie »

Yes, this is one of the strange things of TC.
You have to navigate to the "Network Neighbourhood" in the Drive bar or Drive selection list or type "cd \\" (without quotes) in the command line.
You will find your "Secure FTP Connection" option in the File window.
Stone10

Post by *Stone10 »

Amazing...
You are so right on all levels :)

Why isn't this explained VERY clearly on either, the install.txt or plugin page is beyond me.
I do consider myself an experienced user, but I would NOT have though about this in a million years.

Anyway, is there a way to put this somehow on the button bar? or at least on the actual menu?

Thanks again for your help, Henrie.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Stone10 wrote:Amazing...
Anyway, is there a way to put this somehow on the button bar? or at least on the actual menu?
While showing the Network Neighbourhood you can drag and drop any entry from it to your button bar.
Stone10

Post by *Stone10 »

Thank you so much :)
I am now a happy person again... :D
Pericius

Post by *Pericius »

It might have been asked already, but search yielded nothing and there's whole lotta pages to read in here, so...

I'm getting asked for password while logging in via key and password authentication is set off on server. Works all well with putty though. Tried both putty format key and openssh.

Great plugin, works with my pass auth servers. Nice work.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

Only keys in openssh format are directly supported by plugin. Plugin uses third-party library (libssh2) and it does not support keys in putty format. Those can be used indirectly through ssh agent Pageant.

As for the password, it depends on your key, how you created it. If it's password protected, you're asked for one. If not, it should just work.
Pericius

Post by *Pericius »

Sob wrote:Only keys in openssh format are directly supported by plugin. Plugin uses third-party library (libssh2) and it does not support keys in putty format. Those can be used indirectly through ssh agent Pageant.

As for the password, it depends on your key, how you created it. If it's password protected, you're asked for one. If not, it should just work.
Key is not password protected and is in openssh format. I can also connect to that server without pass via winscp.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

Few ideas:

- WinSCP uses keys in putty format, so you must have converted it for sftpplug. Check the pem file that right after "-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY----" begins the key (unreadable mess) and not some readable info about encryption
- WinSCP requires only one key file, but sftpplug needs both *.pub (public part of key) and *.pem (private part of key)
- what exactly does password dialog say (title and text)?
Pericius

Post by *Pericius »

Yeah, I don't have .pem. That's the issue.
The dialog says "Error: Authentication by password failed"