Screenshots

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Mikey Boy

Installing new drive button icons ???

Post by *Mikey Boy »

Downloaded StickyNomad's set of icons and drive buttons but cannot get TC to load the new drive icons ...

Added the following line to my WinCmd.Ini file under [Configuration]:
DriveLib=C:\Program Files\WinCmd\icons\vicons_drivelib.dll

but cannot view the newer drive icons.

My button bar size is set at 20 but the button icons do appear correctly ... can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
striker_69

Post by *striker_69 »

Pdavit,

I have two questions regarding your screenshot. First off, I liked it very much, it looks really really nice.

1. I noticed you have 12 menu items (including Help in the right corner), while the default TC configuration only has seven. Do you use a TC XP installation?

2. In your right-hand panel, the D-drive looks like in Windows Explorer. Could you tell me (I guess the others might probably already know how to do this) how to do this? My guess is this is some feature found in the configuration file, but I haven't come across it so far.

I also have a question or, rather, suggestion, for Christian. I've read your interview given to wincmd.ru, from which I understood that you're going to distribute your new registered copies of TC by CDs, not diskettes. So, the problem of an installation file being able to be put on a diskette naturally goes away. Have you considered implemented the concept of "skinning" the TC?
I am pretty sure that there would be a lot of new users that would be attracted by a feature like this.
I know there is an ongoing debate (at least, on http://wincmd.ru) on whether to sacrifice the functionality/speed/small size to the "nice skinned GUI," where some (power) users are strongly against such things as "skinning." Their argument is that TC is a fast, small and functional tool, and must remain as such. However, considering the computing power and huge memory capabilities that we have now, I don't think it would do any harm if users were able to change the interface the way they like.
Frankly, I don't like very much TC's default look, and I do believe that if it had a "skinning" capability it would interest a lot more people.
I know you've probably been asked this a zillion times already, but anyway...
striker_69

Post by *striker_69 »

Pdavit,

Sorry, question #2 is recalled - I didn't read attentively the explanation given earlier. Found the plugin, going to give it a try
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

striker_69,
1. I noticed you have 12 menu items (including Help in the right corner), while the default TC configuration only has seven. Do you use a TC XP installation?
Not sure if Panos uses an "XP installation", however, he uses a custom menu, available at http://totalcmd.net/plugring/TCExtMenu.html that he created himself, by conincidence.
You can get more different menus at http://totalcmd.net/directory/lang.html .
Have you considered implemented the concept of "skinning" the TC?
I know you've probably been asked this a zillion times already, but anyway...
Well, if you know this has been asked a zillion times, just use the search and read the answer, which is pretty much
TC is a fast, small and functional tool, and must remain as such

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Mikey Boy
Added the following line to my WinCmd.Ini file under [Configuration]:
DriveLib=C:\Program Files\WinCmd\icons\vicons_drivelib.dll
but cannot view the newer drive icons.
You should use quotation marks because of the space in the path. Try to insert: DriveLib="C:\Program Files\WinCmd\icons\vicons_drivelib.dll", then it should work
striker_69

Post by *striker_69 »

Mikey Boy,

you should have loaded the .icl file, not the .dll.
unpack the zip into your WinCmd directory and insert into the wincmd.ini the full path to your icl file.
then reload TC, it will work 100%

StickyNomad,

thanks for the great icons! Some fresh look...
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

StickyNomad,
You should use quotation marks
I don't think that's necessary in this case.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2striker_69
thanks for the great icons! Some fresh look...
Hmm... thanks for your nice words :oops: , I'm very pleased that you like my icons. At the moment, I'm doing some workover on them and adding some more icons to my collection. I'll announce it when they're done.

2Hacker
I don't think that's necessary in this case.
not? I thought this were the problem, because for me the ini-entry works fine, but I have no spaces in the path, so i thought this could be the problem...
Mikey Boy

Thanks but ...

Post by *Mikey Boy »

sorry still no flat drive icons ... have tried the following

DriveLib="C:\Program Files\WinCmd\icons\vicons_drivelib.dll"
and
DriveLib="C:\Program Files\WinCmd\icons\vicons_icolib.icl"

Though XP generally does require quote delimiters when spaces are present in the filename/path - I don't think that's necesary here as TotalCommander properly parses the ini string containing quotes.

The line

Mainmenu=C:\Program Files\WinCmd\LANGUAGE\TCExtMenu.mnu

does load properly and the expanded menu is displayed.

Thanks again for the help ...

Mike
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

2 StickyNomad

>At the moment, I'm doing some workover on them and adding some more icons to my collection. I'll announce it when they're done.

Please, can you be kind enough to also include some icons for the new v6.50 features like: thumbnail view and custom columns? Thanks!

2 striker_69

I presume my dearest friend Hacker has covered your questions! ;)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
raytc

Post by *raytc »

I can not understand why almost everybody keeps his statusbar in TC
(F2/F3/F5/F7 etc.)

What can be the reason of this?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

(F2/F3/F5/F7 etc.)
Let's call it the Function Keys Bar for the sake of clarity (Status Bar is the small line below each panel that shows more info about the file when in Brief view).
The reason might be that mice users can easily click on the buttons.

HTH
Roman
Nabukodonosor

Post by *Nabukodonosor »

I saw this in Stitscher's post on first page of this thread:
http://img88.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img88&image=TC.jpg

How to make something like this? I'm making the first steps in TC styling, so be helpful. TNX
soreno

Post by *soreno »

(F2/F3/F5/F7 etc.)
Then it is possible to use the mouse to execute the desired command.
rei

Post by *rei »