Symlinked directories on ftp-servers not accessible

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

TommyCP

Symlinked directories on ftp-servers not accessible

Post by *TommyCP »

I believe I've found a bug in Total Commander's build-in ftp-client: when viewing the contents of a directory, I noticed that symbolic links to directories are displayed as files instead of directories and are therefore not accessible.

How to reproduce:

- Set up an ftp-connection to ftp.symantec.com
- The directory "AVDEFS" that is located in the root is a symbolic link; TC displays it as a file.
-- I found that the problem occurs with a lot of FTP-servers that use symbolic links.

I'm using Total Commander CE/Pocket 2.0. My Pocket PC is a T-Mobile MDA Vario, equipped with an original T-Mobile ROM (1.6.2.2). The OS is Windows Mobile 5.1.70.

Of course the problem could be caused by my device rather than TC. Perhaps someone could try to reproduce the problem on his/her PocketPC?

Kind regards,
Thom
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

IIRC there is no way for TC to distinguish between Folders and Files. So it assumes files with names without extensions are folders and those with extensions ar files.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
corny

Post by *corny »

No, TommyCP is right here. The FTP Client in the Windows version of TC *does* show it as a symlink and selecting it takes you to the right place.

So, confirmed for TC Pocket. btw, I am using a MDA Compact with Windows Mobile 2003 SE.
Regards,
Cornelis
TommyCP

Post by *TommyCP »

It's good to hear that the problem is reproducable on a different device under a different OS; I don't trust my T-Mobile ROM one bit. Anyway, I'm planning on flashing my device to a Qtek ROM (equipped with a newer version of WM5) and will check if the problem occurs with this ROM too. If so, I'd say that it is definately TC-related.

Any chance of this bug getting squashed? :)
corny

Post by *corny »

I am not running the original ROM, but the one from QTek, so it hasn't to do with T-Mobile
Regards,
Cornelis
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will check whether I could add symlink support.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
TommyCP

Post by *TommyCP »

Great! Thanks in advance. :D