browse complete pocketpc files from connected windows xp?

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bengo

browse complete pocketpc files from connected windows xp?

Post by *bengo »

i have a pocketpc which is sluggish because it has some duff software that is messing it up. is there a way of remotely accessing the files, in full, like total commander allows, from another computer, like a win xp attached to it? activesync obviously only lets you see certain files.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, bengo.
activesync obviously only lets you see certain files.
Cannot confirm this. Even using Windows Explorer you can browse all files by going to My Computer => Mobile Device.
(There may be a setting inside ActiveSync to hide or show files located in ROM, I am not sure. If so I definitely have got it set to "show".)

If you have got T.C. on your WinXP machine and if you wish to use T.C. to browse all the files on your PocketPC, you need to install the winceFS filesystem plugin for T.C. on your WinXP machine.
Having done so, inside TC the PocketPC will be accessible under \ (Network) => WinCE Device.
(As you will know from this forum, there is a TC for PocketPC as well which runs on the PocketPC.)

Apart from all the files Win200x PocketPCs will have some kind of pseudo databases, holding e.g. the Windows registry and some other application settings. These databases are not visible as files.
On your PocketPC you may install e.g.:
+ dbView
+ PHM Pocket PC PowerToys
These utilities will let you view the Win200x internal databases. Work on Win2003, cannot tell if they still work on Win2005.

About sluggishness:
On Win2003 there was a bug affecting one of the databases. It would cause the (small) database to blow up with each soft reset.
This 5kb startup programme solves this issue for my Win2003. (Do not know if the bug still exists on Win2005.)

Hope it helps.
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song