Known limitations in beta 1 (please read first)!

This forum contains bug reports from previous beta tests - the issue has remained unresolved, either because it couldn't be reproduced, or couldn't be prevented/fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Known limitations in beta 1 (please read first)!

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There are the following known limitations in beta 1:
  1. Total Commander is still using MS Sans Serif bold as default font. This can be changed manually. Tries to switch to a different default font all lead to unsolvable compatiblity problems with existing configurations
  2. Many new features may not be documented yet, except in the history.txt. I'm open to suggestions for what should be added to the help.
  3. We still use a HLP file for help. Migration to CHM is planned, but there are still a few problems to solve before this step can be taken
  4. Not all lanugages include translated command identifiers (inc file)
  5. The Czech and Slovak translations are still incomplete
  6. to be continued...
Last edited by ghisler(Author) on 2008-04-28, 07:46 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Known limitations in beta 1 (please read first)!

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
  1. We still use a HLP file for help. Migration to CHM is planned, but there are still a few problems to solve before this step can be taken
Please allways add a hlp-file and dont change 100% to CHM as only hlp-files can be closed with ESCAPE. thx!
Hoecker sie sind raus!
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Known limitations in beta 1 (please read first)!

Post by *wanderer »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:
ghisler(Author) wrote:
  1. We still use a HLP file for help. Migration to CHM is planned, but there are still a few problems to solve before this step can be taken
Please allways add a hlp-file and dont change 100% to CHM as only hlp-files can be closed with ESCAPE. thx!
! For that reason alone, i second that...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Boris

Post by *Boris »

I hate .chm, also. You can't close it with escape and when using mouse, right-click on taskbar and you get close in the middle of contect menu. I always click on "version" being last in the list. It's frustrating! :) You can't close darn thing! :)
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

I love CHM!

The index and search result is integrated in the main window.
So it's much easier to navigate to multiple search results, than to reopen the help search dialog, activate the search tab, ...

ALT+Left/Right lets you navigate the visited pages back and forward. Help offer only the BACK button.

The structure of the help document is visible in the content tab. That's an appetizer to read more about themes you never searched or heard about.

And if you want to close the CHM with escape: this should be possible with one simple AHK-script.

Kind regards
Holger
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Indeed it's no problem with AHK, I am using the following combination script meanwhile:

Code: Select all

ESC & F1 Up::WinClose, A
ESC::Send, {ESC}
What it does:
Hotkey ESC+F1 closes *any* application (may sound like a strange hotkey but it's very comfortable if you are used to ESC anyway)
Hotkey ESC closes any window that can be closed by ESC.

Both hotkeys work on release, this prevents accidental mass closing.

Nevertheless it's hard to understand why MS hasn't included an option to close CHM files with ESC. If everything was running fine in Redmond, no scripts would be needed.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

great for ppl who wanna frickel with ahk :)

not for ppl who ONLY want to close CHMs with Escape :!:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I have even added that I would prefer to have CHMs be closed by ESC without any scripts. Can you read?
Nevertheless it's hard to understand why MS hasn't included an option to close CHM files with ESC. If everything was running fine in Redmond, no scripts would be needed.
So, do you think that you have any chance to convince Billy Boy Gates? He gives a sh** about your problems with CHM, I tell you. I don't, that's the difference!

If you know a better way besides using AHK then for God's sake share your wisdom. And no, it is definetely no solution to stick with HLP files for the rest of our lives, just because YOU cannot find a way to close them with ESC.

I prefer to find solutions to problems and not whine about them for years.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Sure :!:

Best part would be to write a small little help Tool
which has an Index of all Entrys.

Advantage:
- Wiki could be build in
- Clo'S Tut could be build in
- It could be close by Escape
- it would be searchable as a CHM
etc :)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

A CHM can also include the Wiki, can include Clo's tut, can be searched. The only thing it doesn't support is closing by ESC.

Writing a new tool to clone the features that CHM supports anyway just because you are against a one liner in AHK sounds very – well – interesting.

I can't wait to see your tool in action but please make it smaller than 200 KB 'cause this is the size of a compiled AHK script.

Good luck!

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Sorry u got me total wrong:
I didnt talked about including the wiki and Clos Tut
into it but (online) access to it

2nd im not against a onliner ahk im against using ahk i dont need it and i doenst want to install it just because chm sucks :D

3rd dont expect from me to code such thing
a) my life time is to short for that
b) im to bad in coding :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

Wouldn't it be possible for Christian to implement support for the ESC-key? I.e. when I request the online help, TC checks for existance of file totalcmd.chm and opens it if available. Hence TC ~knows~ that totalcmd.chm is currently beeing opened and it could watch the keyboard buffer to close the CHM-file if it was currently the active window upon detection of an ESC-key press.

Though i honestly don't know if it is that trivial to handle. :)

_______
Regards,
deus-ex
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe it could be done with some Javascript within the HTML files, but many users may have turned off Javascript, for security reasons...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:2nd im not against a onliner ahk im against using ahk i dont need it and i doenst want to install it just because chm sucks :D
I agree with icfu, and to remind you: You don't need to install AHK, it comes in a zip! And if even that's too much for you, how about a precompiled EscClose.exe? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be happy to provide one for you ;)

CHM isn't perfect, and a lot of other tools aren't perfect either... that's where Autohotkey comes in!
license #76904
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

TucknDar, I couldn't resist. Sorry! :)

http://icfu.totalcmd.net/temp/CHM_Killer_Special_Sir_SiLvA_Edition.exe (TIGER icon included)

Just pure HH Parent handling. ESC kills CHM, that's it.

Source:

Code: Select all

#IfWinActive, ahk_class HH Parent
Esc::WinClose
Icfu
This account is for sale