Please create videos (or screenshots) of bugs when possible!

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Clo

I also agree. Image support would indeed be a very useful addition.
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

First I thank Hacker for the Camstudio tip!
I've searching already a while for such an opensource tool, to derive short educational 'zapshots' from the screen.

I agree with Clo about the size limits of images on a forum page and the boring aspect of a H. scroll bar.
His proposed width of about 700 is a fair one, because at the left, space is used for the avatars, etc.
The height should be restricted as well, because for some users with a small bandwidth, it would be boring too
to wait for the forum-thread to be downloaded completely.

As Stitscher noted, there are PHP scripts to execute these limits on the incoming images.
But often this is just a resizing routine, which is, graphically seen, a clumsy method with low-quality results.
Of course the sender can take this quality loss for granted, but I'm afraid that a single resize operation from
3000 to 700 would make a lot of text on the screenshot possibly quite unreadable.

So it would be better to advise the members to prepare the image first to a smaller size with a graphical editor (like IV),
before posting it. And I like to emphasize with Clo about using the PNG format.
Most system screenshots contain only a limited number of colours, and this is implemented in the conversion to PNG.
Test : Caption of TC screen (part below button bar) : a BMP of 2 MB (315 colors).
Saved as JPG : 122 KB (10015 colors) - saved as PNG : 44 KB (315 colors)

Although I have my own webspace to place images, and post the URL for forum use, sometimes it can be just an
occasional thing, not worth saving on the webspace.
Then I use the quick method with TinyPic. No registration needed.
Just upload the image, click in the forum box, and copy/paste the "[image]" string on the TC-page.
Clo

BUMP !

Post by *Clo »

2Sam_Zen

:) Hi Sam !

• Thank you to unearth that topic, the images like we wish are really missing !

• There are many free hosts, for example steekR

- With images, we'ld save time, and avoid a lot of misunderstandings… :roll:

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

I'm sorry Clo, but I don't understand the expression 'unearth that topic'.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Unearting means to dig out something or to bring something back to life. Well I don't know if posting in a sticky unearthes the topic as it is always the header of the bug forum :roll:
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

In the meantime someone at the IrfanView forum is making a new optimization tool : RIOT.
Still beta, but stable. Very suited for image jobs like this. Monitoring pixel-size, quality and filesize.
There are plans to make a plugin-version for IrfanView.
Jervis3008

Post by *Jervis3008 »

i wish i could, but i have to post one post without a linked file first. perhaps this post does it.
Jervis3008

Post by *Jervis3008 »

Jervis3008 wrote:i wish i could, but i have to post one post without a linked file first. perhaps this post does it.
i still can't post a post. What else can i do ?
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Jervis3008

AFAIK you have to post 3 posts and your account has to be 3 days old to post urls. But you can simply cut the http:// prefix and write the link like this: imageshack.us/picture0815.html
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

FenixProductions noted a workaround recently, you can put the "["url"]" in your Sig :-)
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Jervis3008

Post by *Jervis3008 »

you're funny :-)

when i have to wait 3 days ans posts, then it is okay. but the error message, after posting with links to images, says 1 day and 1 post.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I just checked in the sections of the addon - it's set to one day and one post...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Vlad

Post by *Vlad »

The drawback of externally storing images is that you do not control that and one day the image can disappear (AFAIK 3rd party image hosting often host images only for a limited period of time, and some won't allow hotlinking (which they assimilate bandwith stealing) or depending on the forum traffic (i.e. how many time the topic is opened and the image is loaded, the image can be replaced with something different, because the allowed bandwith has been surpassed). So all in all, it'll be completely useless when such a topic is opened only to see the image is gone or not available.
On the other hand, it is true that allowing attaching image to the posts might transform into a disk space problem (with too many images or inappropriate sizes).
I've only offered my insight as I was going to post a bug report, and then I saw this post encouraging us to post images, only to realize this function was not enabled AND that you needed to wait a little and make some posts BEFORE before your account is fully instated, allowing to post image links...

My 2c

Vlad
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

There are a lot of recommendations on the forum to use imageshack.us as a picture hosting. Now ImageShack is no longer offer image uploads free of charge, so I can recommend Flickr instead. For better organizing it's possible to apply a Screenshots category for screenshots when uploading, and to select license for it from predefined license terms list. And unlike ImageShack and Microsoft OneDrive, Flickr allows to use IE9 or Presto-based Opera browser.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
Vlad

Re: Please create videos (or screenshots) of bugs when possible!

Post by *Vlad »

Hello,

Since I've answered to this topic, more than 13 years ago, I've got what I hope to be useful information since.

I use a great piece of free software called Screen2GIF: https://www.screentogif.com/

Basically it records the actions on your screen (so one can easily show where the issue is), and it does this by taking rapidly screenshots, checking and optimizing pixels that don't change between two following screenshots, and from these it makes an animated GIF, that's easy to be displayed (in another free picture viewing software like XNView Classic / MP).

HTH,

Vlad