Keyboard Multiple File Selection Not Working Properly

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DudeBoyz

Keyboard Multiple File Selection Not Working Properly

Post by *DudeBoyz »

Version 7 beta.

I have the left pane open, and I have 40 files and want to select 10 of them sequentially.

If I go to say number 30, hold down the SHIFT key and press the UP arrow, it does not include number 30 in the selection set. It should.

If I go back down the list while holding the shift key and pressing the DN arrow the selection gets all messed up, with some above 30 still selected, others below not properly selected.

Would like that to be looked into please. :)

Thank you
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

If I go to say number 30, hold down the SHIFT key and press the UP arrow, it does not include number 30 in the selection set. It should.
It does here. You mean maybe that number 30 AND 29 should be marked, like in Explorer?
Behaviour in TC is by design and it makes sense after you get used to it. If you want to mark 10 files in a row you do exact 10 keypresses, not 9. Only the entry where the cursor is located is marked/unmarked. So, when you switch direction from up to down while marking, you have to release Shift one time to not get a file marked at the turning point.

Icfu
This account is for sale
DudeBoyz

Post by *DudeBoyz »

The one I'm on should also be selected, should it not?

With PowerDesk Pro 5 and 6, the selection works properly without the need for releasing the SHIFT key as you indicate. Windows Explorer behaves the same was as PowerDesk, so I would have expected Total Commander to behave the same as Explorer does.

I already learned how to configure F2 to be Rename, I just want keyboard selection to work as expected.

BTW, if I click an entry with the mouse, then hold down SHIFT and select a group, the original entry that I clicked with the mouse IS selected as well.

Note - even if I press the SPACEBAR to force select the current item, if I hold down the SHIFT key and then go up or down, that previously selected item is UNselected, which is not what I would want in that case either, and is inconsistent with the mouse method also.

When an item is selected, it is supposed to act as an Anchor, so when it is selected and I hold down SHIFT and move UP, the selection set starts with that item, and if I move DN, it also acts as the anchor should I move the cursor below it as well.

TC is not behaving in that manner, and I think it is a bug and that it is supposed to behave in that manner.

It is like the positional counter is simply "off" by a number or two. That the count is not being fully updated when it is done manually with the keyboard.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

The one I'm on should also be selected, should it not?
Example, you have three files:
file one
file two
file three

Place cursor on file three and press Shift+Up:
only file three gets selected => this is expected and by design in TC!

What you want is:
file three and file two get selected => this is NOT expected in TC!
With PowerDesk Pro 5 and 6, the selection works properly without the need for releasing the SHIFT key as you indicate. Windows Explorer behaves the same was as PowerDesk, so I would have expected Total Commander to behave the same as Explorer does.
Explorer and PowerDesk are not comparable to TC. In TC the file which has the cursor focus isn't automatically marked, like in Explorer, but only after you tell TC to do so. This makes it possible to handle cursor and marked files completely separately. For example you can mark files, then move the cursor somewhere else without losing your selection (in Explorer you have to press Ctrl to move cursor only, so better don't forget it when selecting or all your selection work is lost), view some file under the cursor, continue selecting, etc... In TC 7 much more commands have been added to modify the selection, this is not possible in PowerDesk and the like. I agree, it's difficult to understand and get used to it at first, but it's worth it.
BTW, if I click an entry with the mouse, then hold down SHIFT and select a group, the original entry that I clicked with the mouse IS selected as well.
This is standard listbox behaviour, yep. The original default operation mode in TC is right mouse button select which has no need for Shift.
TC is not behaving in that manner, and I think it is a bug and that it is supposed to behave in that manner.
TC behaves like that for ages and you can be sure that it is not a bug. ;)
It is like the positional counter is simply "off" by a number or two. That the count is not being fully updated when it is done manually with the keyboard.
See above, cursor separated from marking and you can count very exactly! Move cursor on a file, then press Shift+Up 10 times:
In TC you have 10 files selected.
In Explorer (clones) you have 11 files selected.

So, Explorer is wrong, because it's off by 1.

Icfu
Last edited by icfu on 2006-11-07, 21:06 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This account is for sale
DudeBoyz

Post by *DudeBoyz »

I think you are just not trying to hear me.

It is NOT working properly.

Even when I FORCE a selection with the SPACE bar, it won't include that one in the selection either.

The whole "It's not a bug, it's a Feature" thing has been done to death.

So has the "Everybody else is doing it wrong, but we are doing it right" statement.

Would certainly discourage folks from making a purchase, this type of response.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Even when I FORCE a selection with the SPACE bar, it won't include that one in the selection either.
Space works fine here for marking. Press space and file under cursor is marked. Press Space again and it is unmarked.

I have no idea why space doesn't work for you. Maybe some other application catches that key...

I have tried my best to explain the differences. If this isn't enough for you, just wait for someone else.

Icfu
This account is for sale
DudeBoyz

Post by *DudeBoyz »

Pressing SPACE works fine.

Try this, mister know it all, :)

Go to a file in the middle of the file window

Press SPACE

Hold down LEFT SHIFT KEY

Press UP ARROW KEY 3 times

Is that original file you selected with SPACE highlighted?

It is NOT on my system.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Of course it is NOT highlighted and this is EXPECTED, like I have tried to explain you several times now. Pressing Shift+Up toggles the selection status of the file under the cursor!

And now, mister "I try to promote PowerDesk in every single betanews.com review and want every other file manager to work like PowerDesk", either play nicely and read again, or play with a toy of your choice. I am not here to waste my time for people who are not interested in answers.

Good luck

Icfu
This account is for sale
DudeBoyz

Post by *DudeBoyz »

icfu wrote:Of course it is NOT highlighted and this is EXPECTED, like I have tried to explain you several times now. Pressing Shift+Up toggles the selection status of the file under the cursor!
But it does NOT do that if you first select the item with the mouse.

Hence, the inconsistency.

Fanboy rantings are just no fun. If you don't actually want to help, that is your business, but I'm trying to help address an issue that I perceive exists with Total Commander.

I mention Powerdesk and Explorer as a matter of functional comparison. That is all. I am not here to promote anything other than Total Commander. I would not invest time and energy if I was not interested in helping to make the program better.

One of the reasons I and others may want to invest so much in learning and commenting on Total Commander is so we can make it our primary file management tool and divest ourselves of other apps like PowerDesk and others.

Your lack of patience and maturity certainly doesn't serve the product or this site well. You do a disservice to the product and to potential purchasers and future customers.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

But it does NOT do that if you first select the item with the mouse.

Hence, the inconsistency.
I have explained above:
This is standard Windows listbox behaviour (when left mouse selection is activated) and makes complete sense. When right mouse selection is activated it's different, try it out please.
Fanboy rantings are just no fun. If you don't actually want to help, that is your business, but I'm trying to help address an issue that I perceive exists with Total Commander.
You accuse me of not wanting to help you? Could you please recheck how much text this thread has? Get serious, please. I have explained that this is not a bug, it's like that for years. If you tell me that it still a bug, you are just ignorant and telling ME that I am a fanboy is just ridiculous. Watch and read the forum and you will see that...
I mention Powerdesk and Explorer as a matter of functional comparison. That is all. I am not here to promote anything other than Total Commander. I would not invest time and energy if I was not interested in helping to make the program better.
Ok, my intention is similar. I permanently add ideas to TC from other file managers. Just search this forum for "Directory Opus", "xplorer2" and others connected to my nick.
Your lack of patience and maturity certainly doesn't serve the product or this site well. You do a disservice to the product and to potential purchasers and future customers.
If I wasn't patient I would have put you on my ignore list after your third posting.

Have fun with your TC experience

Icfu
This account is for sale
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2DudeBoyz

Well, I'd like to jump in here, maybe it's not too late for a diplomatic solution :wink:
If I get you above statement correctly, I can't confirm the behaviour you observed:

See this little video. What I do there is press CURSOR DOWN 3 times, then I press & hold SHIFT and press CURSOR UP 3 times. As you see in the video, the file that has the cursor on it before pressing SHIFT (file2.txt) is selected as well. Same when cursor is set with mouse. So maybe there's some reason on your system if your TC7 really doesn't behave that way
DudeBoyz

Post by *DudeBoyz »

StickyNomad wrote:2DudeBoyz

Well, I'd like to jump in here, maybe it's not too late for a diplomatic solution :wink:
If I get you above statement correctly, I can't confirm the behaviour you observed:

See this little video. What I do there is press CURSOR DOWN 3 times, then I press & hold SHIFT and press CURSOR UP 3 times. As you see in the video, the file that has the cursor on it before pressing SHIFT (file2.txt) is selected as well. Same when cursor is set with mouse. So maybe there's some reason on your system if your TC7 really doesn't behave that way
If you don't mind me asking, how did you make that little video? If I could make one, I could show the issue that I'm having and perhaps it would be easier to understand.

Thank you.
Stitscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stitscher »

DudeBoyz wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, how did you make that little video?
There is a sticky thread.
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=12078
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@StickyNomad:
He has mentioned at the bottom that he is talking about the situation when he starts doing that with the first file already selected and he wonders about the inversion. If only he had mentioned that in his first posting... ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
DudeBoyz

Post by *DudeBoyz »

I took 3 screen shots in sequence:

Move cursor over folder to select:

Image: http://www.pdscomputing.com/files/tcmd-01.png

Press SPACEBAR to select folder:

Image: http://www.pdscomputing.com/files/tcmd-02.png

Press and hold SHIFT key and press the UP arrow to select more:

Image: http://www.pdscomputing.com/files/tcmd-03.png

Original line is no longer selected
Last edited by DudeBoyz on 2006-11-07, 22:48 UTC, edited 2 times in total.