Problem with AutoComplete when nothing is selected

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

splintor

Problem with AutoComplete when nothing is selected

Post by *splintor »

AutoComplete is a really cool feature in TC 7, but it comes in your way when you don't want it.

For example, if you write in the command line:

cd C:\

and then press Enter, the Enter simply close the AutoComplete list, and then you need to press another Enter to submit the command.

What it should do is submit the command on the first Enter if nothing was selected in the AutoComplete list. Only if something was selected in the AutoComplete list, the enter should put it in the edit box and not submit the command.

Regards,
Shmulik
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

SUPPORT ++
Hoecker sie sind raus!
splintor

Correction

Post by *splintor »

In a second thought, pressing Enter should always submit the request, since when you select an option from the list using the up and down arrow keys, the caret always stays in the edit box, and you can type what you want, so you don't need to press Enter to make a selection and close the list.

Enter should simply submit the command.
now

Post by *now »

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have decided against it because it's very dangerous. Several programs including firefox close the suggestion list on the first ENTER and submit it on the second.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I have decided against it because it's very dangerous. Several programs including firefox close the suggestion list on the first ENTER and submit it on the second.
Maybe an option then? (turned off by default, of course) This double-Enter behaviour bores me a lot too... :(
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
splintor

a

Post by *splintor »

I would also like to have it as an option, if possible.
Several programs including Firefox close the suggestion list on the first ENTER and submit it on the second.
In Firefox, when I start typing in the address bar, and click Enter, Firefox immediately goes and gets the URL I typed. If I use the up/down arrows to select something from the URLs Firefox offers me, and then click Enter, again, Firefox immediately get the selected URL, and doesn't wait for an additional Enter.

I guess you are referring to Firefox behavior in case of a form field with AutoComplete. In that case, pressing Enter when you didn't select anything from the list submits the form. Only if you use the arrows to navigate the AutoComplete list, Enter selects from the list but doesn't submit the form.

So in TC, if the user didn't select from the list, Enter should surely submit immediately. I think that TC command line is more like Firefox address bar, and less like Firefox form field, so Enter should always immediately submit, but as Flint and myself said, this should be left as an option for the user.
Last edited by splintor on 2006-11-20, 12:18 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@ghisler:
Think about adding a Ctrl modifier: When it is pressed, execute directly. You can also add a wincmd.ini entry which allows to invert the Ctrl behaviour.

Icfu
This account is for sale
AlleyKat

Post by *AlleyKat »

I fully agree with splintor. I do find the whole issue rather minor, but I would expect TC to perform a command when I've typed it and press enter. It's a commandline, not a webpage form.
ghisler(Author) wrote:I have decided against it because it's very dangerous.
:?: What on earth makes it more dangerous than the opposite? Am I missing something obvious here?
Quantifier

Post by *Quantifier »

AlleyKat wrote:I fully agree with splintor. I do find the whole issue rather minor, but I would expect TC to perform a command when I've typed it and press enter. It's a commandline, not a webpage form.
ghisler(Author) wrote:I have decided against it because it's very dangerous.
:?: What on earth makes it more dangerous than the opposite? Am I missing something obvious here?
Also, it's not consistent with other behaviour. In TC 7rc3 when you type partial name of program, then use arrows to select it from autocomplete box, you need to press enter twice to start it. But if you click the suggested entry with mouse cursor, it immediately starts with no question asked.