Sorting directories.

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
Yes, this was changed by popular demand.
I must admit that I liked the old way. Would it be possible to have an .ini file option to choose the old way: UseExtensionsInDirs=1/0 :?:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
adysko

Post by *adysko »

2petermad
ini file option would definitely solve the problem. Thank you for suggesting this.

Edit:
I just read some earlier discussion on sorting directories and now see better where it is coming from. I also noticed that 'UseExtensionsInDirs' flag has been suggested by others so I think this should make everyone happy? :)
Adam Dyśko
adysko

Post by *adysko »

I see my post has been moved here. Should I understand that ini file option for sorting directories will never be implemented?
Adam Dyśko
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, it means that the change was on purpose. However, it is planned to add an option for those who preferred the old way.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

it is planned to add an option for those who preferred the old way.
Thank you! :-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
adysko

Post by *adysko »

ghisler(Author) wrote:... it is planned to add an option for those who preferred the old way.
Great news! Big thank you from me too! :D
Adam Dyśko
chrislaarman

Post by *chrislaarman »

ghisler(Author) wrote:... it is planned to add an option for those who preferred the old way.
I am yet another of those. :-)

In the meantime I consider going back from 7.01 to v6.5x, as the feature is that important for me.

--
Regards,
Chris
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

History.txt wrote:20.02.07 Added: wincmd.ini [Configuration] SortDirExt=1 re-enables sorting of directories by extension (if sorting directories by name is turned off)
HTH,
Holger
chrislaarman

Post by *chrislaarman »

HolgerK wrote:
History.txt wrote:20.02.07 Added: wincmd.ini [Configuration] SortDirExt=1 re-enables sorting of directories by extension (if sorting directories by name is turned off)
HTH,
Holger
It surely does help! :-)

Thank you, Holger! (And Christian...)

--
Chris
Alex0077

Great!!!

Post by *Alex0077 »

This is what I looked for on the whole internet. :-)
Thanks a lot!!!
Elmeraculous

Post by *Elmeraculous »

Hi all,

Kinda in line of the remarks above: I noticed that whenever I sort a certain folder e.g. by date, that this sorting applies to all folders on my computer. I was hoping to find a possibility to sort each folder in its own individual way. (Sorry to bring this up: but Windows Explorer does sort this way...).

Any ideas?

Cheers, Elmer.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Elmeraculous wrote:Kinda in line of the remarks above:
No, not really.

Explorer remembers (and often forgets) the view and sort order per folder.
TC remembers the view (and sort order) for left and right panel (and for each tab).

Regards
Holger
Elmeraculous

Post by *Elmeraculous »

HolgerK wrote:
Elmeraculous wrote:Kinda in line of the remarks above:
No, not really.

Explorer remembers (and often forgets) the view and sort order per folder.
TC remembers the view (and sort order) for left and right panel (and for each tab).

Regards
Holger
Well, as it is all about sorting, my opinion is it is indeed kinda in line with prior remarks, but hey, who am I to decide.

The functionality of TC as you describe it, is known to me. However, I was wondering if the functionality is customizable in the way of Windows Explorer (again, really sorry to even compare the two).

Thanks.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Well, as you know the basics about how TC remembers views and sorting order, it's a little bit funny to post a question, request or suggestion in the forum part titled "TC7 Behaviour which will not be changed" :wink:

Regards
Holger

Sort mode based on path
Elmeraculous

Post by *Elmeraculous »

ghisler(Author) wrote:No, it means that the change was on purpose. However, it is planned to add an option for those who preferred the old way.
I could refer to the comment above posted earlier in this 'no changes thread' in which is mentioned that a function will be added, but then I would contribute to the fact that this conversation has completely gone into a direction that has nothing to do with the initial intention of my question. So I won't. But thanks for your support. ;-)