Faster searching ideas

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

horizon

Faster searching ideas

Post by *horizon »

TC itself could do some indexing or (better) use windows indexing service (yes, windows indexing service is one of the best indexing engines available!) if present. (This would be helpful especially but not only in network environment, where it's possible to use index database already created by machine you are searching on!)

Question could be "How windows indexing service can handle compressed archioves (zip, rar, etc.)?" Well, probably it cannot handle them. however: if you will use windows indexing, TC will immediately know where archives are, and could use old-style-mechanic search over them. :)
Indexing service also brings other (marginal) benefits like usage of different so called Indexing-service-filters (which can bring you for example content searching http://www.aimingtech.com/av_ifilter/ )

Present way of searching takes a lot of time and stresses drive quite hard and to be straightforward, its performance seems me to be quite bellow standard. Implementation of any indexing would make TC quite powerful searching tool. (btw: Current versions of Office 2007 makes you to install and use indexing service! And once it is running it can brings instant search results as you type.)
Last edited by horizon on 2006-11-24, 13:52 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

better solution is to crate plugin using open source Locate database.

IF smb implement dbupdate with ndff algorythm (both are open source), it could be excellent.
Habemus majkam!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2majkinetor !
I might find time in the future to examine Locates database format.
That would be great!

[OT]
BTW, nice to see you and your valuable knowledge still around here (and I mean it!). I hope you won't send a letter bomb to my home because of our quite differing opinions about a certain issue recently...

[/OT]