[Req] New-style overwrite dialog for FTP

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Slavic

[Req] New-style overwrite dialog for FTP

Post by *Slavic »

First of all, I have to say that Overwrite dialog for common file operations in TC 7.0 is essentially improved and becomes very friendly and nice.

My wish is to adjust this dialog for FTP too. Of course, some options couldn't be used in FTP mode or has to be changed, like auto-rename destination or overwrite all older (because of time difference between local PC and FTP server), but it will be well to use the same or very similar design.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will consider it, although it will not be very useful with ftp...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Valery_Kondakoff

Post by *Valery_Kondakoff »

My 2 cents:

I'm really missing 'file size' and 'file date' info in FTP file overwrite dialog. So, when FTP file overwrite dialog appears, there is no easy way to decide: which file is newest.

Please, add 'file size' and 'file date' info to FTP overwrite dialog.

Thank you.
CU
VK
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately this information isn't always available...
wheeloftime

Post by *wheeloftime »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I will consider it, although it will not be very useful with ftp...
Glad I found an earlier request for something I would appreciate very much to when added to the next TC release !

Consider a situation where you want to synchronize a local directory with a remote directory where on the remote directory there are some files which are only case different. Trying to copy those to a local XP directory with synchronize does not work because synchronize just refuses to continue when it detects two files with the same name, only difference is in case, inside the remote directory (because XP doesn't support that feature). It would be very nice if one had the option of an automatic rename when copied to the local drive or at least an ignore so the synchronize would keep working for the rest.

I now just can't synchronize my local Xampp development directories with the remote directories because many clients don't think/care about proper filenaming.
P4 2.6 | 512MB | 80GB HDD | WinXP Home SP1 | DSL 450/25 | AVG free
Valery_Kondakoff

Post by *Valery_Kondakoff »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Unfortunately this information isn't always available...
Isn't this a good idea to display this info when it is available?

There is an example: the size and date file info is available (at least you can see it in remote ftp file list), but is not displayed in overwrite dialog, making it difficult to decide which file to keep.

Screenshot: http://www.nncron.ru/temp/tc_ftp_overwrite.jpg
CU
VK
PeaceMaker

Post by *PeaceMaker »

2ghisler(Author)

Please try to modify the overwrite dialog in FTP session...
[face=tahoma]LICENSE NUMBER: #101897 Single user license (since: 6th February 2004)
CURRENT VERSION: Total Commander 9.00 beta 12 (released: 31st August 2016)
[/face]
aximili

Please improve FTP

Post by *aximili »

This is an old topic... but I have similar suggestions...

FTP is one of the best features in TC as it is integrated with the file explorer. It would be great to improve it to match other FTP software (and even better)

1. For FTP "file exists" dialog:
I agree that it would be really helpful to display the size (if available) and time of the file.

2. Still for FTP "file exists" dialog:
Add "Overwrite All Older" option (which should be used carefully as time may differ) - but would be very useful when you modify a lot of files in multiple directories and want to upload them to a server that hasn't been updated for a while.

3. Give an option for an FTP connection to synchronize file time when downloading (or even when uploading - we can always change the local file time to the time of upload so that the local file and remote file has the same filetime)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

About 2+3: This isn't done for two reasons:
1. There is still no standard to set the time stamp of remote files, so only very few servers support the MDTM and similar commands.
2. The problem of time zone difference isn't solved.

If you can use secure FTP (sftp), you can use my sftp plugin which has these problems resolved thanks to the commands available with SFTP.
aximili

Post by *aximili »

Thanks Christian