Lister: Tabs in text files

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JFierce7

Lister: Tabs in text files

Post by *JFierce7 »

Tabs in text files are always accounted for a with of 8. It would be great if this could be configured!

A bug occurs with line length for wrapping - here, tabs are accounted for 1 char, which leads to problems if the line end shall be shown. The visible area is calculated wrongly.

(So this is actually a bug and a feature request!)
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

2JFierce7
From help:
[Lister]
TabWidth Width of tabstops (default: 8 )
What I don't understand is why it's not in the Options (it should be configured manually in the INI file) :)
JFierce7

Post by *JFierce7 »

Valentino wrote:What I don't understand is why it's not in the Options (it should be configured manually in the INI file) :)
Whoops, sorry. Had only looked in the options. So, yes, this should be in the Options. It could be necessary, to change it quickly a couple of times for different files.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

A bug occurs with line length for wrapping - here, tabs are accounted for 1 char, which leads to problems if the line end shall be shown. The visible area is calculated wrongly.
Unfortunately TC would have to read the entire file to find out the length of the longest line. Therefore it isn't done.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Valentino wrote:2JFierce7
From help:
[Lister]
TabWidth Width of tabstops (default: 8 )
What I don't understand is why it's not in the Options (it should be configured manually in the INI file) :)
Good question indeed. I didn't know there was an ini option for it (and i automatically assumed there wasn't - my mistake). It should be in the Options.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Lister's Options dialog is quite small (and too dense in my opinion) so it can be easily increased to hold several additional settings that are currently set via INI file only.

BTW, "Load bitmaps as graphics at startup" (BmpStartup) also enables/disables plugins at startup. I think it should be mentioned both on dialog and in Help. E.g. "Show bitmaps or activate plugins at startup".
JFierce7

Post by *JFierce7 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Unfortunately TC would have to read the entire file to find out the length of the longest line. Therefore it isn't done.
So it's actually because Lister doesn't care that a Tab is a Tab in this context?

Okay, however, what I don't understand is, that you need to know the Tabs for displaying the lines. Couldn't this information be used then in wrapping? Only the line lengths in the visible buffer are needed, aren't they?