Synchronized tab selection

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Synchronized tab selection

Post by *wanderer »

I think this has been asked before but since now we're at TCv7, let's see if there is a chance of having this wish: clicking on tab #5 in the left panel automatically activates tab #5 in the right panel. Perhaps this could be achieved by pressing the right mousebutton on a tab, then pressing and releasing the left and then releasing the right (just an idea).
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Bump.

Nice suggestion SanskritFritz but it seems it works only with the keyboard, right? What about poor mouse users? :)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Quite a while ago, I already suggested something like that in the beta forum, but with a slightly different approach, namely creating pairs of tabs dynamically:

See Screenshot
What do you think about a possibility to link two opened tabs in opposite panels together, so when you click on any of the linked tabs, its 'brother'-tab is activated in the opposite panel?

In the directory hotlist exists a comparable feature, but this is feasible for certain 'static' folders only, with my suggestion, this feature could be used easily and dynamically on demand with any folder.

I can imagine it functioning this way:

If you right click on any tab, the menu shows a submenu like 'link tab with... >' that shows all currently opened tabs of the _opposite_ panel.

After a tab is chosen, whenever one of the two linked Tabs is activated, it's 'brother' in the opposite panel is opened too. This link could be indicated by a little index-nr. in the tab title, allowing you to define multiple pairs of tabs. If technically possible, colored indexes could make it easy to recognize which tabs are linked to each other.

If a linked tab is closed, the link is disconnected, perhaps after a dialog: 'The current Tab is linked. Do you want to close it anyway and break the link?'.
I think such thing could be quite useful.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

StickyNomad wrote:Quite a while ago, I already suggested something like that in the beta forum, but with a slightly different approach, namely creating pairs of tabs dynamically
Well, your suggestion is certainly better. I had suggested a simpler version hoping it had better chances to be included in TC7 but... :) Anyway, i find such a feature not only "quite useful" as you said but essential. Let's hope Christian has in mind to add it in the near future.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2wanderer
Let's hope Christian has in mind to add it in the near future.
I hope so too. And if my suggestion should be too sophisticated, I also will be happy with a more 'simplified' implementation.

After all, it is just a suggestion about one possible way this could work.
serber

Post by *serber »

This is exactly what I'm looking for!

Is there any chance of implementation of it Mr. Ghisler?

Regards
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Support++
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric