Compare files upon copying switch left and right files

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

StatusQuo wrote:2Ghisler(Author):
Adding an option in WINCMD.INI to swap the sides here would make this great feature also useful to people thinking like me.
An option to disable this function would alternatively prevent confusion (maybe leading to data loss).
That may not be such a bad idea. As i said in a previous post:
Well, personally i would expect to see the source file at the left and the destination at the right (no matter the panel they came from). Indeed the way it is now seems confusing. I don't see the logic in it.
so Christian, if you decide to provide such an option, please consider this too.

Thanx.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The problem is that the compare dialog can also show the two files above each other.
Which is not the normal view, BTW.
Additionally you can also switch the normal work window to "View / Vertical Arrangement" (which is flipped compared to the Compare window).
ghisler(Author) wrote:In the overwrite dialog, the target file is at the top.
Which is TC's "normal" behaviour, but not intuitive.
I agree that this is the best way to get that file into focus, which is going to be overwritten.
But that makes this dialog a special case which should not handicap the rest of the program, IMO.

Please take a look at this:
- switch TC and also and FileCompare-Tool to "View / Vertical Arrangement"
- copy a file from upper half => lower half
- overwrite dialog: shows the files "wrong"/switched order (lower file in upper position, upper file in lower position)
- FileCompare: also shows the files "wrong"/switched order
So it is always the opposite of the main window (unless copying right => left or lower => upper side - which can not be used with "Asymmetric Mode").

:arrow: Here are Screenshots of what you get (copying dir "\1"=>"\2", "file.ext"=>"file2.ext"):
- vertical
- horizontal
- horizontal, above each other in the same panel

If left / right position from main window can't be kept in Compare function, OK. But: No matter if you use vertical or horizontal display style or copy in the same panel -
IMO the actual side-swapping between main window and compare window is much more confusing than it would be after just swapping the actual behaviour/sides.
This means danger for data because of user failures.

I can accept that the overwrite dialog as special case, because I agree with the optical/intuitive argument. But the same argument stands against having the target on the left / upper half in the FileCompare window.

Please - make this function intuitive. Optional would be enough...
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!