Vista: Localized directory names

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I would probably just build a content plug-in
Personally I wouldn't like to spend a whole column on that!

Maybe:

cm_SwitchLocalizedName=0 Show Real name (current behaviour).
cm_SwitchLocalizedName=1 Show Localized name
cm_SwitchLocalizedName=2 Show Real name followed by localized name in parenthesis.
cm_SwitchLocalizedName=3 Localized name followed by Real name in parenthesis.

could satisfy everybody.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]One OT post split to Who is TC targeted at?

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

I don't think it is useful and correct to have a folder with one name and to show another name. Why can't you just rename it? Or why not have Windows folder and wet it to show as "Die Fenster" in German or as "Вікна" in Ukrainian? Than smb. will ask to show 'myLovelyPinkyHardDrive' instead of 'c:'?

And tools like "Show hidden/system files" were disabled in explorer by default, and ignore list - it is not harming (you can't delete smth that you can't see) - you can just hide Recycler folder or System Volume Information (or smth. else)
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Sosna wrote:I don't think it is useful and correct to have a folder with one name and to show another name. Why can't you just rename it?
Some programs use fixed (but relative to exe) paths, ie. need to have plugins in "plugins" folder. If you want to localize it - a false name is the only solution.
// As you can see - I changed my mind. I'm for as long as I can switch it off.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

It's funny to see that some people have an opinion but obviously never seen localized directory names...
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

As a first workaround here is a content plug-in which provides the display name. This is how Explorer displays the file or directory.
http://www.lefteous.de/tc/archives/shellinfo/wdx_shellinfo_1.00.zip
Duke

Post by *Duke »

TC should has a option to use/read the desktop.ini in the folder(as explorer) to specific the folder name

or

i can turn off the Vista behavior with language name mix on desktop and explorer windows?

Is anybody here, he know a registry option for this??????
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Hello,
ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, I will never do that. Total Commander has ALWAYS shown what is on disk, not any fancy virtual folder simulations.
No doubt, sooner or later you will support that 'fancy virtual folder simulations'. ... be sure: sooner.

An example: Sitting in front of a Vista-Pc as a system administrator/professional user with you customer while discussing/showing him/her something on the windows system using Tc, without this feature, you got a problem... So, system administrators/professional users will not use Tc any longer at customer site...

For sure, you NEVER show what really is on disk - but always uses system APi calls (aka function calls) for it. Same as the (for example) long filename support in you filemanager , you should support new folder API on Vista systems.

Regards

JOUBE
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Hello,
petermad wrote:
I would probably just build a content plug-in
Personally I wouldn't like to spend a whole column on that!
... and the often used 'brief view' does not support plugins. ... the tree views does not support plugins...
petermad wrote: Maybe:

cm_SwitchLocalizedName=0 Show Real name (current behaviour).
cm_SwitchLocalizedName=1 Show Localized name
cm_SwitchLocalizedName=2 Show Real name followed by localized name in parenthesis.
cm_SwitchLocalizedName=3 Localized name followed by Real name in parenthesis.

could satisfy everybody.
I appreciate that. Maybe one simple switch is more useful (for use in the main menu and so on...) and very easy to implement:

cm_SwitchLocalizedNames on/off

Regards

JOUBE
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

JOUBE wrote:
ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, I will never do that. Total Commander has ALWAYS shown what is on disk, not any fancy virtual folder simulations.
No doubt, sooner or later you will support that 'fancy virtual folder simulations'. ... be sure: sooner.
Forget it - TC allway should only show what is on Disk and not some s*** the Windows wants u to see.
JOUBE wrote:... and the often used 'brief view'
:?: who uses this often :?: I DONT :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

2 Sir_SiLvA

Quite a bit of "head hiding in the sand" mentality in your post there. Like it or not, the reality is that M$ controls the environment in which TC runs.

Until some cross-platform version of TC happens (if ever), TC lives and dies only according to the quality of its utility to Windows users.

If TC "the tool" ignores those "fancy folder simulations", it will also be ignoring the needs of a whole class of users. Unless that is a stated goal in the Ghisler & Co. mission statement, it can only be (in the long run) a detriment to the perception of TC as a product in the marketplace in which it competes.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's also a very dangerous feature, which will certainly be used by viruses/worms to make the user think that the virus is a document...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
will certainly be used by viruses/worms to make the user think that the virus is a document
Can you please give us a concrete scenario where localized directory names can make the user think that a virus is a document?
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

JohnFredC wrote:2 Sir_SiLvA

Quite a bit of "head hiding in the sand" mentality in your post there. Like it or not, the reality is that M$ controls the environment in which TC runs.

Until some cross-platform version of TC happens (if ever), TC lives and dies only according to the quality of its utility to Windows users.

If TC "the tool" ignores those "fancy folder simulations", it will also be ignoring the needs of a whole class of users. Unless that is a stated goal in the Ghisler & Co. mission statement, it can only be (in the long run) a detriment to the perception of TC as a product in the marketplace in which it competes.
Sorry but your the one with the "head hiding in the sand" mentality
if you want a Filemanager not to show what is on your drive but getting
shown what windows wants u to see. You like RootKits do you :twisted:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Lefteous

Here an example scenario (in German):
http://www.heise.de/security/news/foren/go.shtml?read=1&msg_id=12107229&forum_id=111866

A file "virus.exe" can get a name like "hello.jpg", and this name is shown even when you turn on file extensions. But when you double click "hello.jpg", "virus.exe" will be launched without any warning.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com