[REQ] install all other languages by default

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

compie

[REQ] install all other languages by default

Post by *compie »

The installer asks the question:
"Do you also want to install all other languages?"

I think it's better not to ask this question. It makes the installation simpler (one question less to answer). All the language files together only take up 1MB disk space (no big deal).

Also it can be that the user installed all the languages the previous time but now updates TC and doesn't install all languages.
This means he now has old (incompatible) language files which can cause problems(?).
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Sorry I think its very usefull to ask what to install - and the one question only takes 5 Secs so no big deal :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
compie

Post by *compie »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:Sorry I think its very usefull to ask what to install - and the one question only takes 5 Secs so no big deal :D
What do you mean with very usefull? What's the disadvantage of installing all languages by default?
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Why should I install all the language files for languages which I do not even understand?
Just in order to save 1 single mouse click?
Nonsense. Period.

Karl
compie

Post by *compie »

I don't know a single program that asks me the same question.

Almost always they just install all languages. And sometimes you have to download a special version for you own language.

And yes: I think that not asking this question is worth the disk space.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2compie

The current way is fine IMO: Simply let the user choose what he prefers.

And how often do you install TC? Every few months, I assume (maybe every few weeks during beta tests). So why bother about one single click?

If all languages would be installed by default, There would certainly arise complaints of users who like to install a very compact TC version on some old machine or USB stick.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

StickyNomad wrote:2compie

The current way is fine IMO
Hi StickyNomad. Well, although i disagree with compie's approach, i don't agree with your's either. I too have requested some changes in the past (here). I find a little annoying having to answer all these questions again and again every time i setup TC, even if it's every few months. Usually when i setup TC, my INI file is already in position so TC could at least use the default values i had entered in the previous setup, as Hacker suggested in the thread i provide above. The first screen should have a silent setup (no questions asked-use the previous setup options) button or something.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2wanderer

I'm just against _completely_ removing the 'choose-language'-dialog, I'm not against enhancements of the installation process in general :wink:

Re-reading the settings of a previous installation and using those as default values (like mentioned in the thread) is a good idea indeed. This way the user still has the choice AND can additionally save some clicks if he doesn't want to change the previously used defaults.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

2StickyNomad

So we agree. :) Let's hope that Christian decides to do at least this improvement in the installation process. After the great and many changes in TC7, installation is the only thing that has remained intact for a login time. Let's change that too! :)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
rajah

Post by *rajah »

karlchen wrote:Why should I install all the language files for languages which I do not even understand?
Just in order to save 1 single mouse click?
Nonsense. Period.

Karl
I agree - I never install anyone language, because there is not in install package mine. Everyone better uses ovn mother language. Why need different?
Begemot

Post by *Begemot »

I agree with language choose simplification too, and as solution i propose to remove "Install all languages?" page, but add the "Install all languages" checkbox (unchecked by defaul) on first installation page.