National chars in Vista and TC

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

National chars in Vista and TC

Post by *roentgen »

Hello!
I've stumbled upon a strange issue with national characters in Windows Vista.

My system locale is set up correct. I have installed the right keyboard layout. As far as I can see everything is set just like I have it on XP.

However when making a directory using explorer (using national chars like: șțăîâ) and browsing to that dir using TC, I get the warning about file names from a different code page.

I then tried to rename the directory using TC. However, when typing the letters all I could see was question marks (????). After hitting ENTER the final name had nothing to do with what I typed.

Creating a directory or file using national characters seems not possible in TC.

Specs: TC7b3, Win Vista x86

EDIT: files previously created in XP, that contain national chars, don't trigger any warning.
TC for Linux please!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You need to set the language for non-Unicode programs in Control Panel - Regional settings to that language, otherwise you will get the warning.
when typing the letters all I could see was question marks (????)
You need to choose a different font in Configuration - Options - Fonts for the file lists. This font needs to contain the language script for your language.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

You need to set the language for non-Unicode programs in Control Panel - Regional settings to that language
I did. I specifically mentioned in the first post.
You need to choose a different font in Configuration - Options - Fonts for the file lists
I use Arial. The same as in XP. AFAIK there's no other "more unicode" font than that.

Maybe someone else is able to test and let us know the results.
TC for Linux please!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You may have an Arial font from a different language on your system. Please check the font choose dialog, it tells you which font scripts are supported.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

You may have an Arial font from a different language on your system. Please check the font choose dialog, it tells you which font scripts are supported.
I have Arial using Central European Script.
Have a look at the following screenshots describing the problem. I use a custom view provided by UnicodeTest.wdx

Screenshot in Vista: http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/9493/unicodebugtcinvistaar4.png

Screenshot in XP: http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/8407/unicodebugtcinxpqs2.png

As stated before, I could not create such a directory by using TC in Windows Vista.
TC for Linux please!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have you tried to use a different font, like "Microsoft Sans Serif"?
As stated before, I could not create such a directory by using TC in Windows Vista.
To do this, you need to create a directory with an English name, and then rename it in place.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

For Romanian language there are 3 keyboard layouts: Romanian Standard, R. Legacy and R. Programmers.

TC only likes chars written in R. Legacy - it does not show the warning about different code page with it.

However, I couldn't type correct characters with none of those 3 keyboard layouts inside TC.

I also tried different fonts: MS Sans Serif, Segoe UI -- no difference.
To do this, you need to create a directory with an English name, and then rename it in place.
This is not the case in XP.

Regarding Vista: WHO CARES ANYWAY.
TC for Linux please!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2roentgen
:?:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

petermad wrote:2roentgen
:?:
Leaving apart the resource consumption, it just looks to me that they're still in alpha stage. What I reported here is not a TC bug but a Vista one and as far as I'm concerned I won't go back to Vista for a long time -- my curiosity was fulfilled with disgrace. The 30 days trial ended prematurely :D.

Anyway, I guess this is is not the right place for such discussions and I stop.
TC for Linux please!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

[OT]

Post by *petermad »

[OT]
2roentgen
Thank you - you have just confirmed my prejudices (against Vista) :-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ross104

Post by *ross104 »

Same for Ukrainian keyboard layout. ???? signs in ukrainian symbols. All other applications work fine. So i think that its not Vista problem, its more TC problem...

I use TC 7 RC1 + Vista Ultimate Final

Pls Help....

P.S. BTW Russian keyboard layout works fine...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It seems to be a Vista bug with non-Unicode programs. I don't think that I can do anything about it. :(
shubaly

Post by *shubaly »

Decision is in topic
"Ukrainian Keyboard Layout + Total Commander + Vista"
daNorse

Post by *daNorse »

For what it's worth...
Best practice in naming files and folders would be to stick to the English character set -- else you may end up in trouble some day...:)
I know cause I'm a Norwegian and I'm not even sure if you can correctly see these letters:øæåØÆÅ -- which we share with the danes...