Weird history list showing..

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

the constant stalling and delays all the time sh** me so much that even with this minor bug, it's still less annoying to run the program cracked than it is registered.
I don't see why a registered version should do that!

The only reason why it could happen is that the cracked version is not compressed with UPX. Some badly written virus scanners have problems with UPX. In this case, try to use the unpacked version of totalcmd.exe (currently available for TC 6.56 only).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
the constant stalling and delays all the time sh** me so much that even with this minor bug, it's still less annoying to run the program cracked than it is registered.
I don't see why a registered version should do that!
My computer is only a 2GHz Celeron with 1GB RAM so it's not the latest and greatest by any means.
The only reason why it could happen is that the cracked version is not compressed with UPX.
The EXE remains UPX packed after cracking. I can make it run even faster by manually unpacking the EXE after cracking, but I find that really isn't necessary. The speed difference is negligible. It's the CRC checking during the running of TC when registered that slows it down and causes all the hesitation.
Some badly written virus scanners have problems with UPX. In this case, try to use the unpacked version of totalcmd.exe (currently available for TC 6.56 only).
My virus scanner is configured to ignore programs being run from local and LAN HDDs. The only stuff that's scanned is incoming data from www.
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

DRP535 wrote:My virus scanner is configured to ignore programs being run from local and LAN HDDs. The only stuff that's scanned is incoming data from www.
Security Software like AntiVirus programs are main targets of hackers and phishers. So I doubt that a well developed virus scanner has no mechanisms for self protection. One single wrong checksum can be a heavy threat for itself.

2GHz Celeron with 1GB RAM is more than necessary for to run both smoothly: Total Commander together with any virus scanner.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's the CRC checking during the running of TC when registered that slows it down and causes all the hesitation.
I really doubt that. CRC checking during operation is done very rarely, and only in a background thread with a lower priority than the main thread. Btw, I'm using a Pentium III with 866 MHz for developping and every day work here on purpose so I have a slower system than most of my users. It's still very fast even with a background virus scanner, you just have to choose one which is fast.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com