Bug(?) navigating inside archives inside archives

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bdk

Bug(?) navigating inside archives inside archives

Post by *bdk »

Hi

When I have an archive that contains archives it is possible to navigate inside the "inner" archives. This is very nice. I see that when I navigate inside the "outer" archive I see from the file path on the top of the file tab that TC is still working in the current directory. When I navigate inside the "inner" archive, I see that the file path changes to TC's temporary directory. This is something that has to be done, I guess, to make this functionality work. I can actually replace files inside the "inner" archive and repack everything inside the "outer" archive. Very nice! So what's the problem? :-) Here it goes:
When I navigate out of the inner archive I the Back-button. If I press the Back-button rapidly or hold it down, I see that TC navigates out of the inner archive and ends up in TC's temporary directory!?! If I pause the navigation just before I navigate out of the "inner" archive, I will be ok. TC then "jumps" from the temporary directory to the correct subdirectory in the "outer" archive. TC obviously needs some time to think before it is able to get back to the correct directory. But shouldn't TC take this timeout even though I try to navigate rapidly, so that I end up in the correct directory? I guess I'm not the first one to experience this problem. Is it a bug or a "feature" I just have to live with?

EDIT:
I did some searching in the forum and see that this issue has been addressed several times before over the years. Does anybody know the end of those discussions? Sorry for the double posting.

EDIT, part 2:
Use the F2 (reread source) to get out of the inner archive.

Note to myself: Search the forum first and then ask the questions :-)

regards,
bdk
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately there is no solution to this problem. If you go out of the inner archive too quickly, you land in a directory other than TC's temp directory, so TC assumes that you really wanted to go there.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Maybe it's lost between 113073 posts, but it still works with TC7b4: <Home> + <Enter>

HTH
Holger
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

TC7 Behaviour which will not be changed
:cry:

2ghisler(Author)

Even if this is to late for TC7, I hope it's not the final decision for future TC releases.
I'd just made a quick test again with a 10 level Zip/Rar archive:
Using this AHK-script:

Code: Select all

$BS::
IfWinActive, ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD
{
  ControlGetFocus _FocusedControl
  if (_FocusedControl == "TMyListBox1" or _FocusedControl == "TMyListBox2")
  {
    WinGetText, _PanelText, A
    IfInString, _PanelText, temp
    {
       Send, {HOME}
       Send, {ENTER}
       Return
    }
  }
}
Send, {BS}
Return
I never ended inside temp path, when leaving the deepest level with <BackSpace> keep hold down.

Without the script, no more than 3 <BackSpace> are necessary to be lost inside the temp path.

I don't know if the two key combination or an alternate control path makes the different, but i think it's worth to investigate.

Kind regards,
Holger