"Disk is full" when using Big-file copy/move on di

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

LvlLord

"Disk is full" when using Big-file copy/move on di

Post by *LvlLord »

Hi there,
I geht the message "Disk is full" when using big-file copy/move on different drives with buffer size >= 256 on Beta 3&4. This will not occur when drives are in compatibility mode or default copy method is selected.
This error occured today for the first time. Don't really know why.

Yours
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

For 256 kByte buffer? I haven't seen such a problem yet. It should only occur if your memory is heavily fragmented, so Windows cannot allocate a contiguous 256 kByte buffer.

Anyone else having this problem?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I tried now with 384 MB buffer and found no problem.
However, I'm not sure if the buffer was really used. Should it be shown in the Task Manager? I did not find any significant growth of memory usage.

Before the copying: TC uses 13,6 MB / 7,8 MB of memory / virtual memory, the total memory consumption in the system is 848 MB.
During the copying: TC uses 14,8 MB / 9,1 MB, the total memory consumption is 850 MB.

I re-checked my settings:
CopyBlockSize=1024
CopyBlockSizeOther=128
CopyHugeBlockSize=393216
CopyHugeBlockSizeOther=1024
SamePartitions=CDEW,FG
I copied a 1,4 GB file from G: drive to C:.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
LvlLord

Post by *LvlLord »

Ok, I retested the whole thing and it happened again. But only when I copy file to 2 (D: and I: ) of my 3 TrueCrypt volumes.
Image: http://www.mgsp.de/fehler.jpg
I checked all harddrives with chkdsk without any errors.
Memory is still over 300 MB available so this should not be the problem.

My settings:
CopyBlockSize=10240
CopyBlockSizeOther=128
CopyHugeBlockSize=10240
CopyHugeBlockSizeOther=256
SamePartitions=CGHI
CopyCompatDrives=\VW
This is a strange error and I got this now the first time after I often use the betas for a few weeks now.
LvlLord

Post by *LvlLord »

Ok, I just rebooted and the error is gone. Don't know why this happened. Seems to be a typical "reboot" bug *smile*
Thanks for you support and help!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

CopyHugeBlockSize=393216
Wow, that's 384 Megabytes, not kBytes! No wonder that Windows cannot always allocate that in one block. That's much too large! You should never use more than about 10 MBytes for the buffer, meaning 10240 kBytes...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Wow, that's 384 Megabytes, not kBytes! No wonder that Windows cannot always allocate that in one block. That's much too large! You should never use more than about 10 MBytes for the buffer, meaning 10240 kBytes...
I know, and usually I'm using 10240 kbytes. I have just set these 384 MB, for testing purpose only (I have 1 GB RAM + 1,5 GB swap).

So, when TC cannot allocate a large buffer, it just uses a smaller one? Maybe, in this case TC should report that it could not allocate the buffer of the requested size?
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64