FTP with blank characters

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

maswi

FTP with blank characters

Post by *maswi »

The ftp client seems to have serious problems when it is connect to a ftp server where are stored files which containts blank spaces. In particular, when a blank space in inside the filename, only the last part of the filename is recognized by the client.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

NOT confirmed.

There are no general problems with blanks in filenames.
May you are connected to ftp server with a strange format.

You can define a new format for this certain ftp-server

Please perform a "ALT-Enter" on a file while connected. This will show you the real listing coming from the server.
You can post a line with a filename having a blank to the forum, just to analyze the format.
#5767 Personal license
maswi

Post by *maswi »

I was not very punctual in my first post. Now I try to describe the problem better.
When I ask TC to syncronize my pc with the ftp server of my mac (OsX 10.4.9) , the ftp client inside the syncronization function seems to have serious problems if in the server there are files which containts blank spaces.
When a blank space in inside the filename, only the last part of the filename is recognized by the client, and the syncronization function doesn't recognize the correct filename or it tells that there are duplicated file names.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I don't think that it has anything to do with synchronize, it uses the same ftp functions as the main program.

The problem is that FTP servers send their file listing as a plain text file. The various fields like name, permissions, size etc. are separated by spaces from each other. Therefore it's not possible to distinguish a space at the beginning of a name from a space which separates the name from other fields, without the knowledge of the exact formatting of the file listing.

Solution: Define your own server type, like this: Ctrl+F, then "New connection", give a server name and choose "Define new server". Now connect to the server. Total Commander will show a dialog box where you can define your own server type. You can start with a predefined type, e.g. Unix, and then adapt it to your needs. You can get a description of the placeholders with F1.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com