TC truncates file names while copying

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

n8m5fgv1

TC truncates file names while copying

Post by *n8m5fgv1 »

For example path:

C:\Documents and Settings\Valery\My Documents\My Education\Методы линейного и нелинейного программирования\Нелинейное программирование (Альховик)\Решения\Оптимизация при наличии ограничений\Модифицированный метод Хука-Дживса\HookeJeevesModifiedAlgorithm.bdsproj

truncated to:

C:\Documents and Settings\Valery\My Documents\My Education\Методы линейного и нелинейного программирования\Нелинейное программирование (Альховик)\Решения\Оптимизация при наличии ограничений\Модифицированный метод Хука-Дживса\HookeJeevesModifiedAlgorithm.bdspr
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

This is no BUG but a Windows-Thing.
Path and Filenames are only allowed a max length of 259...
Hoecker sie sind raus!
gigaman

Post by *gigaman »

Well, as noted multiple times, it's not true - the mere existence of the original file proves otherwise; it just needs to use a different way of file access.

I'd say it's time for TC to start supporting the long filenames as well... though it might require a lot of (identical) changes to the code.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, guys,

you realize the issue has been brought to Christian's attention before:

(1) BUG: Copy truncates file names >259 chars!

(2) BUG: Copy/Move truncates full file names >259 characters

I admit that I did not like the answer given by C.G. in this case, because it means not even an alert when T.C. is about to truncate a name: here

Regards,
Karl
sas2000
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sas2000 »

I still hope that he'll solve this problem.

Tc is not only used by home users, can you imagine if this bug cause loss of data to an enterprise... ?

2Sir_SiLvA
Microsoft Robocopy (Xp & Vista) supports  >256 paths, even it has a switch to turn this option off  (so that  >256 characters support it's activated by default).

From Robocopy help :

By default Robocopy will handle file and directory path names up to almost 32,000 characters in length. If for any reason you wish to disable this support for very long path names, use the /256 switch.

/256 :: turn off very long path (> 256 characters) support.
32,000 characters 8)