"wincmd" becomes "Totalcmd" in menus

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

"wincmd" becomes "Totalcmd" in menus

Post by *petermad »

I don't know is this is a bug or a feature, but since I cannot see any reason for it, I will report it as a bug:

Where ever in a .mnu file I write "wincmd" as a POPUP or a MENUITEM description it get changed to "Totalcmd" when the menu is put to use.

This bug also applies to version 6.54 and maybe even way further back, I haven't checked - but I can not see what the purpose should be.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

Name changed, nothing visible

Post by *Clo »

2petermad

:) Hello Peter !

• That's true, but I don't think that's a bug, rather a feature for the following reason :

• Remember… The programme has been bound to change its name, and IIRC, there was a (short, OMG !) delay beyond which the old name - even in abbreviated form like in the case- might no longer appears anywhere on the visible interface, Help documents, Web pages and so on…

• Hence, to respect the agreement with a certain Hellish Company, I'ld bet that Ch. Ghisler has coded such a detection and auto-change (or auto-not_change to prevent…) in order to sleep quietly… :D

- This cannot be applied to some file-names, indeed, since this is not naturally visible, and always with an extension… You may name a file as you want, nobody can prevent you to do…

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Clo
...you may name a file as you want, nobody can prevent you to do…
But Mikey$oft can indirectly prevent me from using the word wincmd in MY menu - how abominable :!:

...might no longer appears anywhere on the visible interface, Help documents, Web pages and so on…
But it appears at least 33 places in the help ?

But you might be right - it just found out that it also happens if I try to use "wincmd" in a .lng file - here it is also changed to "Totalcmd"
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This was done at the time of the name change, when there were dozens of translations containing the old names "Wincmd" and "Windows Commander". Since such old translations were present on many computers, I used this method to convert the old to the new name.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

So - any chance of removing the function now ?
License #524 (1994)
Clo

Very short is good

Post by *Clo »

2petermad

:) Hi Peter !

• About the LNG¦MNU, it depends on the lenght of the abbreviated name… For instance, I've here :
wcmd_fra.lng and a lot of others in the same painting, and they are not changed…
But it appears at least 33 places in the help ?
:? It might not… Forgotten, I suppose? But if they are file-names, no matter…
- I've changed all in the Tutorials and my personal TC pages,
and also in documents belonging to other programmes where it was quoted…
- It took a pretty long while till I no longer discover any remaining one by there ! :P

—> ghisler(Author)

• IMHO, it's not disturbing to keep that feature; like I said above, it assures you a peaceful sleep…

:mrgreen:  KR - VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Clo
For instance, I've here :
wcmd_fra.lng and a lot of others in the same painting, and they are not changed…
I am not talking about "wincmd" in the file name, but in the file content.

Try this:

1. Change string 18 in your wcmd_fra.lng to:
18="Sélection de fichiers wincmd"
and reload the language file.
2. Press Num+
3. In the title of the dialog you will see: "Sélection de fichiers Totalcmd"

It's not disturbing to keep that feature
It annoys me a little. I was going to make a menu entry for editing wincmd.ini with my favorite editor, but I couldn't use the legend "Edit wincmd.ini..." - of course I can write somthing else, but I still find it little unnecessary.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, the function will be kept for all those people who didn't update their language file...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com