TC7rc3 - Compare By Content, Esc key while editing

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

white
Power Member
Power Member

TC7rc3 - Compare By Content, Esc key while editing

Post by *white »

Situation 1
  • Select two files and open the Compare contents dialog (menu Files/Compare By Content).
  • Click on one of the file names at the top to edit it.
  • Change the file name then hit the Esc key to cancel the changes in the file name.
  • The whole dialog is closed.
Situation 2
  • Select two files and open the Compare contents dialog (menu Files/Compare By Content).
  • Click on the Edit mode button.
  • Change the contents of the files and hit the Esc key.
  • The whole dialog is closed. I suggest to cancel Edit mode when the Esc key is pressed while editing in one of the listboxes. Hitting the Esc key again would then close the dialog.
ThurahT

Post by *ThurahT »

support.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Support
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

ESC has always been used in Windows to activate "Cancel", e.g. to close a message box or other dialog box. I have no plans to change this behaviour.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote:ESC has always been used in Windows to activate "Cancel", e.g. to close a message box or other dialog box. I have no plans to change this behavior.
Good point. However, this does not mean the Esc key should activate "Cancel" or "Close" in all circumstances. The Compare by Contents dialog isn't really a dialog. It is a tool. In fact when in edit mode it is an editor. Does Notepad close when pressing the Esc key? Does MS Word close the document when pressing the Esc key?

Furthermore I found the following examples in MS programs on my Windows 98 system where Esc does not Cancel or Close.

Program/tool: Find Files
The Esc key closes the tool. But not in the following circumstance:
1 Use the program to find some files.
2 Select a file and press F2 to edit the file name.
3 The Esc key restores the file name and does NOT close the tool.

Program/tool: Outlook Express
1 Open the Signatures tab on the Options dialog (menu Tools/Options/Signatures).
2 When editing the text of a signature the Esc key does NOT close the dialog.
3 Also when editing the name of a signature the Esc key does NOT close the dialog.

At least it is debatable whether the Esc key should close Compare by Content in the circumstances I mentioned.